New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Macjanitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ryan13

Ryan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really nice

I've heard about macjanitor and was wondering what exactly it does. If you can tell me without using technical jargin that would be great because im new to mac!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

It does for your Mac what a janitor does for a building. It cleans it up and maintains it.

That was the nontechnical jargon part of it!

In just a little more detail, it cleans out caches, logs etc. This helps your Mac run more smoothly.

Frankly though, I would recommend OnyX (http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html). It does the same thing, and a LOT more! It is also free.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Ryan13

Ryan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really nice

Ok. Thanks I'll look that up!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I don't believe it cleans the caches, but only rolls the log files.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Nope, caches aren't touched by any of the maintenance scripts.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

I stand corrected! Thanks gents. This makes my recommendation of OnyX even stronger then gnrfsu.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
Ryan13

Ok thanks everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

thanks - appreciate the info. Does a Mac need this type of app, i.e., does an average system get that cluttered up? (By the way had trouble with the link - it had an extra ")" at the end.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Now and then it is worth doing. I do it about once a week just to be sure. I ran this Mac for about 6 months before doing it at all though. I noticed it seemed to be slowing down a bit so I tried this. It worked! Good as new again afterwards. So, I would recommend it.

QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

OnyX rocks.

I had two people just this week tell me they were having problems with all sorts of weird things happening on their machines. I recommend OnyX and they both got it ran the scripts and all is well.
QUOTE Thanks
Evermore

Evermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive

ok i got onyx but what do i run? i know its very powerful software and so should i just do automation and run the default scripts? i don't really know what to do..

Evasive-Media Group
[ MBP ] 15.4" - 2.16ghz C2D - 2gb RAM - 120gb HD [ MBP ]
Evermore
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

I normally just go into the Maintenance and Cleaning tabs, and click "Execute" on each section.
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

MainMenu is also good for this since you can access it directly from the menu bar. Very neat!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mp3 joiner/combiner? | Native sound recording program on OSX? »