New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Straight DVD Copier

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AnthonyJK

AnthonyJK will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD

I tried searching the forum first but I couldnt find anything. Are there any free programs for mac that will just copy a dvd straight to a burnable dvd. Like Nero for PC you just stick the DVD in then when its done you stick in a blank DVD and it burns it straight onto it so you don't have to rip it to your computer first then burn it in iDVD
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJK View Post
Like Nero for PC you just stick the DVD in then when its done you stick in a blank DVD
What you are describing is a single program for the process, not a straight burn. You are implying here that you only have one DVD player/burner on your system. If this is the case on your PC, Nero "IS" ripping it to your hard drive first and then burning it. Nero will do a straight burn on unprotected DVD's without ripping to your hard drive first, but it requires at a minimum (2 drives) a DVD player and a DVD burner on your machine.

But to answer your question, Roxio's Toast would be the Mac version of an all around burning solution like Nero. They are the maker's of Nero's primary competitor in the windows side also.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
AnthonyJK

Toast isn't free. My friends PC saves the dvd to a temp file then when he inserts the blank disc to be burned it erases the temp file. He has one drive. Sorry for my lack of knowledge to accurately describe what I'm talking about. Are there any free programs?
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Toast isn't free. My friends PC saves the dvd to a temp file then when he inserts the blank disc to be burned it erases the temp file. He has one drive. Sorry for my lack of knowledge to accurately describe what I'm talking about. Are there any free programs?
Nero isn't free either it is shareware.

MacTheRipper is free and there are alternatives to iDVD out there which are also free.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
AnthonyJK

I never said Nero was free? But I've used Mac the Ripper but I'm looking for a program that will do what I described. There is a free program for PC but I can't think of the name at the moment if I think of it Ill post it. Thanks though Moses.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you're thinking of DVD decryptor or DVD Shrink on the PC side - neither of these programs will burn a DVD either. They will, however, use the Nero burning engine if you have it installed without having to open Nero separately.

No, there is no single program (freeware, that is) for the Mac, that will both rip a DVD and burn it that I am aware of.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
AnthonyJK

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mquinta

mquinta is on a distinguished road

what you want is a program to copy DVD's like DVD Shrink for PC,right??
A program that copy a temporary file to your hard disk and then burn it to a blank DVD.
And a program that, like DVD Shrink, can copy protected DVD's, right???

well... that's what i'm being looking and nothing.. all the programs that were indicated to me or those i found were only to rip the DVD's, and, worst.... they ocupy the doble, at least..

it sound's to me very very rare that there isnt a programe capable of burning protected DVD's and for PC there is!!!!
it's the second time i get disapointed and sad by having a MAC..

tell me you guys, it must exists a program, no??
at least a program that we have to buy, but, it exists, right??
QUOTE Thanks
kris182

kris182 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB DDR3, 160 + 320GB HDD, Gforce 9400m - iPhone 8GB 2.2 T-Mobile

You could use Mac The Ripper to rip the file then Roxio Popcorn to compress the file. Although I normally just reboot into XP and use DVD shrink (or ripit4me if it has protection shrink can't break) as I find it quicker than MTR. Although you will need an external burner for this.
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

I offically HATE Toast. For copying anyway. DVD2One is amazing.
QUOTE Thanks
acash0902

acash0902 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook | Black | 2.16gHz | 2gb ram | 160 HDD

is dvd2one similar to clone dvd? I have toast, and will it rip the dvd to my harddrive in a temp folder and then burn it onto a blank dvd?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

No, Toast doesn't do that.

QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
I tried searching the forum first but I couldnt find anything. Are there any free programs for mac that will just copy a dvd straight to a burnable dvd. Like Nero for PC you just stick the DVD in then when its done you stick in a blank DVD and it burns it straight onto it so you don't have to rip it to your computer first then burn it in iDVD
Well, to rip and burn a DVD you have to create a copy on the hard drive initially anyway, it just comes down to how automated it is. If you want the best DVD tools, use Windows via Parallels or Boot Camp. Windows ripping tools are updated the fastest and has the most variety. To start out with, get DVD Decrypter and RipIt4Me. RipIt4Me is a front-end for DVD Decrypter that supports the latest DVD encryption methods. Next you will need to determine whether the DVD can fit on a standard 4.7 or 8.5gb DVD. If it can't, then use DVD Shrink to compress the video to the point where it will fit. After that, use ImgBurn to burn to a blank DVD disc.

If you want to encode, you'll need either HandBrake or AutoGK. HandBrake supports MPEG-4, H.264, and Xvid. AutoGK supports DivX and XviD. Also, you can rip out just the main movie and burn back to disc (take away the opening advertisements, menus, and extras). It's an extra step to boot into Parallels or Boot Camp, but all of those tools are free and easy to use.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

I have this one and it works just as you described. Not free but you can download a demo.

http://www.mp4converter.net/dvd-copy-mac.html

QUOTE Thanks
sailorswife

sailorswife is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro

I dled handbrake yesterday and after 24 hours of encoding, it was still only 50%. Is this normal? Or did I possibly screw things up...

For some reason I can't seem to back up my dvds lol. Nothing I use works unless I want to spend a ton of money.

Thanks =)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« syncing existing iphone to new computer/itunes | How do you export CC mail addresses »