New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

mail asking me for a password

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

presslee

presslee is an unknown at this point

I have had my imac since last year and have been running my .mac account through mail fine all this time and it has suddenly started asking me for a mail password and when i type in the password (i use for absolutely everything, its even the same as the main comp one.) it doesnt reconise it. so this prevents me recieveing my emails. which is rather annoying,.

i have tried looking in my keychain but its not there, and have tried changing the password in preferences also with no luck.

any help/advice would be apprectiated.

i am a fairly new mac user so go easy on the technical words:confused:
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Go to www.mac.com in the login page click "Forgot my password".... Go through the steps to Authenticate who you are... I believe it asks your Birtdate, and then a Hint that you previously provided... It will then ask you to Enter a New Password, the Confirm the New Password.. If you want it to be the same as you "think" it has been, just enter that.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Hi presslee!

When Mail.app asks repeatedly for your email account password this can sometimes happen when the mail server is down or simply too busy. It has happened to me about five days ago. When you visit the .Mac account webpage, Apple will post the service's status there.

For example they have this notice up:

Quote:
02/22/2007
3% of members experienced difficulties with .Mac Mail for 20 minutes. Normal service has been restored.
If the problem lies elsewhere, you might want to check this out, Mail Keeps Rejecting Password (updated) (not just for .Mac accounts though).

You can check this one out too, Fixing Keychain Password Problems.

But if you absolutely must play with Keychain, don't forget to make a backup.

I personally think it's just because the connection is slow and Mail.app gets impatient. Usually taking the recalcitrant email account offline then taking it back online later fixes things. Please consider this option first before going into Keychain.

If the password asking business is constant, not only an occasional thing, then yes, by all means check into the Keychain thingy.
QUOTE Thanks
presslee

still no luck, this is hugely annoying
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute

Did you "change" the password???

mail asking me for a password

If if you re-create the SAME password... that should get you set.
QUOTE Thanks
presslee

apparently i donr have a full.mac account
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

Your 1 year Trial must have ended I take it???
QUOTE Thanks
presslee

1 year? i have only had it since christmas, thought it ended after a month.

also is there anyway i can set up a hotmail account via mail?

cheers for the help
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

My mistake... it's a 60 day trial.

You can set-up Mail with any POP account...

Try this: http://www.apple.com/support/panther/mail/
QUOTE Thanks
presslee

okay thanks, i am still unsure where to find my hotmail accounts info or find out if its even a pop account,

arrrgh, this is annoying
QUOTE Thanks
kkrog

kkrog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by presslee View Post
okay thanks, i am still unsure where to find my hotmail accounts info or find out if its even a pop account,

arrrgh, this is annoying
Hotmail only offers POP3 to paying customers...
Go with Gmail
or AIM for IMAP access.

Klaus
QUOTE Thanks
presslee

ok i think i have tried everything, also i have valuable emails waiting for me in there? will i ever get too them?
anyone have any brighter ideas?
is it worth me email apple? or is that a waste of time?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The Retro Project | Intel mac wont play monopoly »