Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Browsers crashing
    Got home from work and tried to start surfing the net, Safari wouldn't load my homepage, ESPN.com, and then it would crash. Did this several times in a row. I then tried Mozilla Firefox with the same result. I was able to get to the Apple page through the link on the Dock, but then Safari will crash when I type in an address in the bar.

MacHeadCase
    Hello juventusfc99.

I think the best right now would be to reset Safari. If that doesn't work, download MainMenu and use to clean out all the browsers caches.

If the problem still persists, create a new user account and log into to it. See if the problem happens in there too. If it doesn't it means there is something wrong with your user account. If it does then the problem is system-wide and needs to be tackled in a different way.

Well, I tried resetting Safari and that didn't work. I downloading that MainMenu program, which looks like a very useful utility, and cleaned all the caches but that didn't work either. Created a new admin account and the problem still persists, even on the new account. Anybody else have any suggestions?

Bump. Sorry, this is problem is beginning to worry me. Nobody else has had this problem?

bump...please

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Some times running the disk utility application to repair permissions will fix odd problems. You might give it a try and see if it helps.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by rman View Post
    Some times running the disk utility application to repair permissions will fix odd problems. You might give it a try and see if it helps.
    I've tried that as well, it didn't fix the problem though.

Run Onyx and if that doesnt work try setting google as your homepage because it has less things to load than ESPN.com and apple.com and quiting out of every other application. My Safari is running slow, but if I quit out of the other applications it runs faster.

MacHeadCase
    gnrfsu, MainMenu, that I suggested above, is pretty much the same as OnyX. It seems it didn't do juventusfc99 any good so guess the solution is something other than MainMenu or OnyX.

I use both but vastly prefer the convenience of MainMenu myself.

So it's looking like I'm going to have to just take my computer up to the nearest Apple store and let them fix it.

Specs:
    MacBook
    That shouldn't be necessary. Try trashing your Safari pref file.
    Go to :

/User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

and then remove the file "com.apple.Safari.plist" and move it to somewhere like your Desktop.

Restart Safari. If it starts up fine, then take the file that you just moved to your Desktop and Trash it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
    That shouldn't be necessary. Try trashing your Safari pref file.
    Go to :

/User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

and then remove the file "com.apple.Safari.plist" and move it to somewhere like your Desktop.

Restart Safari. If it starts up fine, then take the file that you just moved to your Desktop and Trash it.
    I tried that and it didn't work either. Any other suggestions?

Oh yeah, and its not just Safari that's doing this, Firefox is doing it too.

Thanks

MacHeadCase
    Create a new user account and log in to this account, see if the problem persists there as well.

If not, you have installed something in your usual account that messed up something and you'd have to see if you didn't install something just before the Mac started acting up..

If the problem happens in the new account, then the problem is system-wide and could be caused by an app that was installed for all users or it could be something that is common to all users on the Mac that is corrupted.

Somebody already suggested that I try this, I did and determined that it is a system wide problem becuase it still happened on a new account. But how do I go about determining exactly what application is causing the problem?

Specs:
    2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
    MHC has answered your question. Maybe you should uninstall the last app you installed before the trouble started . Also disconnect anything you may have connected to your mac other than the keyboard and Mouse

Thread Information