New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

OS 10.4 - E-mail migration from Outlook 2003 to Mac Mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrobertsrc

jrobertsrc is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I've done about everything I can think of to convert the tens of thousands of e-mails I have from an Outlook .PST format to e-mail and folders readable by Mail.app. Of course, neither program recognizes the existence of the other...

By all accounts that I've read, the Eudora middle-man method seems to be pretty straightforward, but when I attempted it the folder names showed up in Mac Mail, as did each e-mail, but no e-mail contents exist: no date, to, from, subject, body, nothing.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I've also tried using Netscape as a middle-man, but didn't have any success as no versions of Netscape that I could get my hands on were willing to handle mail the way the how-tos I used required.

Any other suggestions, magic methods that have only recently been discovered, etc.?
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

You can find some more interesting stuff here.
QUOTE Thanks
jrobertsrc

I've now tried everything at that site that does not require a fee, which is not currently an option. The Mail conversion script cannot read from the Eudora (PC) files that I have, which is quite peculiar. And for the reason below, the Eudora (Mac) files aren't possible.

I've discovered the peculiarity that Eudora (Mac) can't even properly read Eudora (PC) -- some e-mails get lost or blanked in the transition: enough that it is not an option.

I -have- successfully imported everything into a Mozilla Thunderbird installation on this Mac, which works fine, but everything I've read about how to convert Thunderbird to Mail.app has failed. The last [n] Mail.app imports that I've attempted have resulted in each folder containing only one VERY large e-mail which includes the raw content of all other e-mails in each folder. Obviously, this is not a good solution.

Anything else??
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

I used this...

http://www.littlemachines.com/

It worked like a charm.

It costs $10, but you've already wasted time worth more than that looking for a free solution, right?

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
jrobertsrc

My concern is this: not one of the "this will work!" solutions I have attempted has been successful; if there is something that I have not yet identified that is preventing this migration from succeeding, I'm wary of spending money only to discover one more unsuccessful method.

However, I will run the possibility by the individual in charge of purchasing. I may yet end up trying it. Thank you for recommending it.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

Well, if it's worth anything it worked flawlessly for me. I had 100s of valuable emails on an IBM Thinkpad and this little app transferred them all onto my Mac without a hitch.

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
jrobertsrc

I'd like to thank the Academy....

No, actually, I want to thank you, MartinS -- it worked! After countless hours pulling my hair out over this matter, all the mail (75 folders containing roughly 12k e-mails) has been successfully imported! Huzzah! I used that piece of software after having it reviewed by the purchasing department, and now I can move on to other issues with a clear conscience.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

Great stuff!

I'm too modest to mention the reputation system...

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
jrobertsrc

*laugh*
Well, I'm glad you did mention it, since I've used these forums for exactly two problems, and signed up less than two weeks ago. If you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have known, which would have been a shame.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« word processor help | NeoOffice Spell check »