New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Help with setting default programs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JASOX

JASOX is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I have two versions of the same program running on my mac mini. I use one of these versions much more frequently than the other one. However, the one that I use less frequently is set as my default program so when I click to open saved files, the version of the program that i do not wish to open automatically opens. To counteract this, I have to right click on the file and choose 'open with' and then select the version of the program i use more frequently. Does anyone know how to change default settings for programs so that i don't have to go through this tedious process everytime!

Thanks, i hope you understood my question.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

single click a document you want to open with the more used app. apple+i to get info. Choose Open With, browse for the new app if it's not there, and hit 'change all'.

All done!

QUOTE Thanks
JASOX

Thanks for that dtownley1. It works well. Is there anyway that I can apply this to all my files without having to individually go through each one and do what you said above?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, JASOX.

You click on the button Change All... just below the drop-down menu in the Get Info box. See the attached screen shot below.
Attached Images
File Type: png Change_all.png (56.8 KB, 6 views)
QUOTE Thanks
JASOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Welcome to Mac-Forums, JASOX.

You click on the button Change All... just below the drop-down menu in the Get Info box. See the attached screen shot below.
Thanks for that. But when i try and open a file after doing what you said, it automatically reverts back to opening with the version of the program i don't want to open it with. Any ideas??

Thnks
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

What is the app?

You have had your Mini for how long?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Office:Mac Student & Teacher Edition - Shared Library Error? | problems installing starcraft »