Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Apps and Games (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/)
-   -   Password Storage Apps (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/54710-password-storage-apps.html)

Diomhair 02-24-2007 07:37 PM

Password Storage Apps

Hello all. I just got my Mac and I don't know how I ever got on with a PC. Anyways, quick question. Are there any good applications for storing site passwords? I used "My Personal Favorites" on my PC, but it seems it's no longer available from Webroot. I saw Webby on Download.com but it doesn't seem to want to dl, even from the originating site. Hope this hasn't been discussed before (did a search).

Thanks in advance!

-Diomhair

P.S. For all I know there could be something built-in to OSX. If so could someone point me in the right direction?

KoDorSean 02-24-2007 07:55 PM

there are a ton of options at www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com

just search "password"

Stretch 02-24-2007 08:26 PM

I use Wallet, it stores more than just passwords. But would highly recommend it.

technologist 02-24-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diomhair (Post 335020)
P.S. For all I know there could be something built-in to OSX. If so could someone point me in the right direction?

The Keychain...it's integrated into Safari, the Finder (for network shares and disk images) and most other apps (Mail, Entourage, etc....) Look in the Preferences window.

You can actually store anything you'd like in there securely, using the Keychain access app in your Utilities folder

dtownley1 02-24-2007 10:04 PM

I stumbled across an app called Pastor, which stores all kinds of passwords and related info. It saves them as a document (which requires a password to access it, do DON'T forget that password :P) It's pretty handy for me in case I happen to forget a password for a site I rarely visit, and rather than display the password on the screen, it will copy it to the clipboard. It also has a built in password generator.

MartinS 02-25-2007 06:44 AM

You can encrypt notes and add keywords in Yojimbo.

kkrog 02-25-2007 09:50 AM

1PassWD

I can recommend 1PassWD - It integrates into keychain, lets you save more than one login pr site, keeps everything safely encrypted (one central password) and integrates into most browsers (Safari, Camino, Omniweb...)

Coming from a Windows PC, you can even import your passcards from RoboForm!

Klaus

Diomhair 02-25-2007 07:31 PM

Thanks for the replies! So many options...

mac57 02-26-2007 01:10 PM

I'll add one more. I keep an encrypted virtual volume (easily created via Disk Utility) and store ALL my sensitive files in it. My passwords are recorded in a simple Word file. Since the volume that file is on is encrypted, they are safe as long as the volume is closed, which is the default state I keep it in.

The great thing about this approach is that you can store other things than just passwords in a safe manner - think finances, wills, etc.