New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Drive Genius

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LostDog4

LostDog4 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS X 10.4.8

Hi guys, just a quick one.

I'm a short term mac user and still coming to terms with available software, so i'm still playing around with various browsers etc.

I'm aware that OS X doesn't really have a direct equivelant of disk defrag and a few other utilities that are available in windows. I'm guessing that the OS keps on top of itself during program installations etc so theres no need for these apps.

However, reading this months macworld magazine, there was a review of drive genius. They sum it up as the maintenance kit that should have been shipped with your mac, which sounds extreme i know! They go on to give it a maximum 5 stars, and continue to praise this app.

I checked some outlets of the software and people seem massively impressed with it.

Does anyone use this app? If so, how do you get on with it, and does it live up to all the praise it recieves?

I use my macbook excessively and am inclined to think that this will help keep its performance up at the benchmark levels....thanks in advance, i'm jsut looking for some insight.

Ben.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I'm sure it's a great product, but I haven't tried it yet. If you've been using PCs for a long time, it might be hard to break the habit of feeling like you need to be constantly running maintenance tasks to keep your machine running smoothly. The truth is, by-and-large, OS X takes care of itself.

There's a number of freeware utilities that essentially do the same kinds of things that Drive Genius does. In particular, Onyx and MacJanitor will do all of the maintenance operations you need to do.

As I mentioned before, for the most part, OS X maintains itself. If your machine was left on constantly, it would periodically run these maintenance operations in the background. But since most people don't do this, these utilities can force the tasks to occur whenever you like.

From what I've read, defragging is unnecessary on HFS partitions. The filesystem itself is designed to prevent fragmentation.

So, in my opinion, save your money and go buy some applications. Unless you're encountering performance problems, I wouldn't worry about running maintenance tasks.
QUOTE Thanks
LostDog4

LostDog4 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS X 10.4.8

Thanks cwa.

I don't have any performance problems at all, so i think i'll take your advice and steer clear of it for now untill, if indeed, a time comes when i need something like this.

Thanks, Ben.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Apple essentially tells you that if you have a reasonable amount of disk space left, Mac OS X performs on the fly, file level defraging just as part of its routine allocation algorithm. This only starts to break down when disk space is near to running out. At that point, you don't need a good defragger, you need to add a disk drive or somehow free up space.

So, by and large, Macs simply don't need defragging at all.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FTP program that can do mutilpe connections? | What Anti-Virus Program? »