New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

What Anti-Virus Program?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

w9ffc

w9ffc is on a distinguished road

New Mac user: What would you suggest for an Anti_Virus program.
I have AVG FREE anti-virus on my windows computer and it's super. Is there anything like it for the MAC.
I don't want Norton or McAwfull..........
Thanks......Bob
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Actually, w9ffc, you can easily get by on a Mac without using an antivirus program, as there have not yet been any successful virus attacks made on OSX. If you really want to feel safe about things, though, there are a few options listed in the threads in the new switcher hangout forum. It would be a waste of RAM in my opinion though.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

Don't waste your money. Don't buy one. You don't need it.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I have the best anti-virus for your Mac. Ready? Ok, here it is: Mac OS X.

Confused? Thought so. It's because you don't NEED anti-virus software on your Mac. You must be thinking I'm out of my mind and that all computers need anti-virus. Well, it helps when Macs don't have any viruses out there.

Of course, I could just be a crazy person, or you're still amazed that you don't have to worry about viruses, spyware, adware and the like on your Mac :bomb:
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You should take a look at the Antivirus FAQ sticky thread in the Switcher Hangout forum.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
w9ffc

w9ffc is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for taking the tiime to reply to my question.
All answers were appreciated.

Bob
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The thing about Anti-Virus programs on the Mac is this - and I've said it before in other threads - there are no current "in-the-wild" viruses for OS X, period. Not one. There have been "proof of concept" viruses, but nothing that has ever infected an OS X computer unintentionally.

Most Anti-Virus programs use "DAT files", that is, databases that contain data about all known viruses and ways of dealing with them. Those DAT files are updated constantly so that the Anti-Virus product is effective. In addition, some anti-virus products use heuristics technologies to try to determine virus-like activity and stop it.

Since there are no viruses for OS X, any Mac anti-virus product is only going to be as effective as its heuristics algorithms. Historically, heuristics have proven to be mediocre in terms of effectiveness.

That said, any virus for OS X is going to make headlines. If you're on planet Earth at the time, chances are you're going to hear about - even before it makes it's way onto your machine. Windows mavens have been chomping at the bit to quell Apple's claims of OS X's resiliency in terms of security. So when an OS X virus appears, the media will be all over it. Considering what an accomplishment it would be, it's a wonder no one has attempted it.

So, I think it's a pretty safe bet to run your machine without an anti-virus product for the time being. If you install Windows via Bootcamp or Parallels, I'd recommend installing AVG Free Edition to prevent damage to those installations. You should also note that it is possible that the Mac could convey a Windows virus to another Windows machine (without being infected itself). I'd imagine that a Mac anti-virus product would look for files like that to try to mitigate the chance of it infecting someone else's machine.

Just my $0.02. I've seriously considered buying one, but after having given it careful consideration, I've decided to wait and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

u could use clamxav

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Clam AV is a great, cross platform and open source freeware product. If you REALLY feel that you must have an AV product, use this one. But you really don't need one!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

I use ClamX just to help out my PC friends so I don't pass a virus to them.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drive Genius | Google Earth Opening Speed... »