New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

I'm completely lost with sheep shaver - Help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

There is a program called Sheepshaver. It's basically a OS 7 - 9.0.4 emulator. Yeah I'm having a few problems getting this app up and running. But no specific yet, just many random issues.

Has anyone got this app to run? How? And what is it's performance like on intel machines?

Why I'm asking is I'm soon upgrading to an intel imac and yeah I'm so happy about it. But there's one game I have. Masters Of Orion 2. And I really want to still be able to use it. Would something like run ok in Sheepshaver? Or would it better to get a PC version of the game and use in with Bootcamp? That's if the PC version will work that way. I have no idea.

Does that make any sense? I'm just trying to say this is really a confusing piece of software to use. And finding a rom and system that it likes are hard too.
QUOTE Thanks
Martin.

Martin. is a jewel in the roughMartin. is a jewel in the rough

i had a sheepsaver problem too. i had everything working except i needed a rom file and i couldnt find one. it sucked. i think you can download os7 for free on the apple site and i cant remeber what else you need.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Go here to see the instructions to Run MacOS 9 on an Intel Mac
http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/08/7352/

It seems to me that Apple has a ROM that can be downloaded from an Apple Sever. Here is part of the info from the above link.

"For the application to emulate the MacOS, you need a ROM for this program to act like a Mac. Thankfully Apple has helped us with this task. On their website they kinda make one available to download. The catch is that you need MacOS 9 to access the ROM, however with a little searching I found a ROM available to download, and fully compatible with Sheep Shaver here. (However if you want to extract your own ROM from the one on Apples server, you need to use TomeViewer)"

I didn't include the links in the above paragraph, so, go to the uneasysilence site to follow them. The non Apple ROM (indicated in red) is no longer available via the provided link. If you have acces to a system that will run OS 9, it still looks like it can be accomplished using the Apple ROM by extracting it with TomeViewer.

Hope this helps.

Martin

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bottcamp ONLY in Beta? and Keyboard freezing up? | Help! »