Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
    iPhoto question - please help!
    I've been using iPhoto to manage photos from my digital camera. However, I can't seem to find a way to import just selected photos, rather than the whole lot that is on the camera when I'm importing. It just says 'ready to import (number) of pics'. I do like to keep photos on my camera even when they're imported but obviously I don't want to have to import the same photos every time just so I can get a few new ones imported. Is there a way to 'mark' or select photos before you actually import in iPhoto? This was a standard feature of the Sony application I used with my PC, but of course it isn't Mac friendly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

G'day stevo-m,

This querie has been tailor made for me .... I had this exact same problem with photos I had downloaded and trashed constantly being redownloaded just 'cos I don't delete my memorycard on my digital camera!

Go to MacintoshHD>Applications>Image Capture.app.

You'll wonder how you ever survived without it and why iPhoto doesn't have this feature already built-in.

<:EDIT:> Oh, I forgot to mention that you need to go into Image Capture Prefs and in General look for:

Camera:

when a camera is connected, open:

Make sure to change this from iPhoto to Image Capture!

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    A lower tech solution exists as well - this is what I do.

Plug in your camera and wait for it to mount on your desktop. Then open it and use Finder to drag the photos of interest to their own folder.

Then let iPhoto import just the contents of that folder.

Seems to work OK.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

For some reason or another my camera doesn't show up in Finder mac57, I don't know why or wherefore?

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
    Thanks a lot for the help, guys. I've tried and both of these solutions seem to work fine, so that's a very annoying problem solved! Cheers!

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Actually Pulse-8, you are right - I tell a lie. My camera slots into a dock, and the dock plugs into the Mac via USB. So, perhaps the camera/dock combo looks like a USB drive to the Mac. This is for my small point 'n shoot. For my main SLR (Canon EOS-30D) I simply pull out the CF card and plug it into a Firewire card reader attached to the Mac. Very clearly THAT behaves like an external drive.

So, in neither case am I directly plugging the camera itself into the Mac.

I guess you would need a card reader to do what I am doing. Apologies for failing to mention that! BTW, they are cheap, cheap, cheap. About $20 will buy you a multi function 12 format card reader. So, this may be a cost effective solution for you if you are looking for a change.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Thanks mac57, I guess Digital Cameras don't mount on the desktop when there's iPhoto and Image Capture to take care of things ...

Thread Information