New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Firefox Making me mad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jonnyfive

Jonnyfive has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD

I noticed this problem on my G4 powerbook and now I have the same problem with my MacBook.

Occassionally the keyboard will not work in firefox. It will work in other programs : neo office or safari
but when I switch back over to firefox it doesn't work. I minimize and maximize it a bunch of times but it doesn't seem to help but after 30 seconds to a minute it works.

What is the deal? It makes me want to smash something.

White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 iMac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD|Combo Drive http://jonnyfive.tumblr.com/
QUOTE Thanks
mikeyman

mikeyman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone

do you have num lock on?

QUOTE Thanks
Jonnyfive

Mac Specs: White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD

It's not a numlock issue because it was off and then I turned it on to see if it would make a difference (which it didn't) and I was able to type in other programs.

White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 iMac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD|Combo Drive http://jonnyfive.tumblr.com/
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Does this problem occur in Safari or any other web browser?
QUOTE Thanks
mikeyman

try www.opera.com
its another highly rated web browser

Have you tried uninstalling firefox?
is it firefox 2 btw, coz that is out now it might be worth considering updating
www.firefox.com

QUOTE Thanks
strigablumatic

strigablumatic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyfive View Post
ahaha, that is never a good idea
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyfive View Post
I noticed this problem on my G4 powerbook and now I have the same problem with my MacBook.

Occassionally the keyboard will not work in firefox. It will work in other programs : neo office or safari
but when I switch back over to firefox it doesn't work. I minimize and maximize it a bunch of times but it doesn't seem to help but after 30 seconds to a minute it works.

I too have seen this on very rare occasions. In my case, I think it's Firefox not reacting well or recovering gracefully from the machine going into sleep mode. In my case, when I see this, I use Command-Q to totally quit the application and it comes right back up. Firefox 2 is still new, so I'm sure there are some bugs to work out yet. If this is intolerable for you, I agree with the other posts that recommend alternative browsers. You may also want to try disabling any add-ons for Firefox and see if the problem persists.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonnyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I too have seen this on very rare occasions. In my case, I think it's Firefox not reacting well or recovering gracefully from the machine going into sleep mode. In my case, when I see this, I use Command-Q to totally quit the application and it comes right back up. Firefox 2 is still new, so I'm sure there are some bugs to work out yet. If this is intolerable for you, I agree with the other posts that recommend alternative browsers. You may also want to try disabling any add-ons for Firefox and see if the problem persists.
It has never occured to me coming out of sleep mode, it just happens whenever I am using it. It is Firefox 2 and I am a huge firefox fan but I think I may switch to a different broswer for the time being because I am so annoyed with it. I haven't installed any add-ons for Firefox so I don't know what the deal is.

I don't necessarily like to Command-Q because I usually have at least 3 tabs open.

Right now I am using Safari, I like safari but there are some compatibility issues with some websites, other than that I love the speed of Safar and the look of it, It's a great light-weight program.

QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I recommend Camino, I use it a lot and haven't had any problems with it!

It also seems the fasted to open next to Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
mikeyman

work your way through this list of browsers
Web Browsers

and for someone who expericance in these forums, how do i make that hyper link be an underline word, for example "your browsers" and it takes you to it?

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
work your way through this list of browsers
Web Browsers

and for someone who expericance in these forums, how do i make that hyper link be an underline word, for example "your browsers" and it takes you to it?
Highlight the line of text you want to make a hyperlink and then click the Insert Link button in the editor, then paste your link into the provided field.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

This is a known bug in Firefox 2 - there's nothing wrong with your Mac.

I'm currently struggling with the browser situation because they're all rubbish. Bring back Opera 6, I say
QUOTE Thanks
chicago

chicago is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM

I've experienced issues with FireFox 2.0 as well... my issue was using the browser over a wireless connection. It would lock up on me for 30 seconds to a minute. It would then release and I could browse normally. It would do this often until I quit it then reopened. It was ticking me off... so now I use Safari with the cooliris plugin and the Saft free plugin.

My GF and her mother also have the same problem with FireFox locking up while they're browsing the web over a wireless connection.

FireFox broke my heart.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
paintitblack

paintitblack is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G4 700mhz 10.3.9 & 2.4ghz 1.5 gb 10.4.8

first off i'd like to hi to all, first post. i too have this problem sometimes, but i noticed if you click to close the window and it asks if you want to close all tabs, just click cancel (not really closing the window) and it should go back and work fine. guess we'll just have to wait for an update
QUOTE Thanks
gabegarwick

gabegarwick is on a distinguished road

Or you could download a session manager for firefox, then save your tabs from that session, close firefox. Relaunch firefox and select the tab session you wish to reload... (I regularly have 30-60 tabs, sometimes more, open at any given time. As you can see, I can certainly understand you not wanting to have to manually recreate your browsing session)

And yes, I too have experienced this bug on my macbook C2D (2GB RAM)

Gabe
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about back-up | Remote Desktop Program ?? »