New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

need some help with Firefox

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rcronin

rcronin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen

I recently add FF to my browsers and want it to be my default browser. Here are my questions so far:

1. When I click on the FF icon in the dock I get a little window with 3 graphics in it (attached). And I seem to have to click on the big FF earth/fox to actually get a browser window open. Does it have to work like that?

2. I can't figure out how to add FF as a browser in PS or ImageReady. I know the steps, but when I go to chose it, I can't see it. If I get it to show up, it's grayed out. It doesn't seem to be listed as an application.

3. Anyone know how to add an icon for "adding a bookmark". I've been to the FF customization, but couldn't find it.

Hey, thanks a bunch everyone,
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 3.png (81.0 KB, 9 views)

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yo Becky!

From the screenshot you posted, it looks to me like you are running Firefox from the mounted .dmg and you haven't properly installed it yet. It shows you where you need to drag and drop the Firefox installer. Just grab the big icon and drop t into your Applications folder.

Now to make Firefox your default web browser, just go to your Safari preferences and under the General tab you can choose the default browser in there (see attachment below). This will only work of course if Firefox is properly installed first though.

As for your third question, I will let someone else reply, I haven't used Firefox in twenty thousand years and have no answer to that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg default_browser.jpg (108.7 KB, 5 views)
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

for the 3rd Q I believe you just right click on any blank space on the toolbar then choose customise, it should just be a matter of dragging and dropping from there.
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Yo Becky!

From the screenshot you posted, it looks to me like you are running Firefox from the mounted .dmg and you haven't properly installed it yet. It shows you where you need to drag and drop the Firefox installer. Just grab the big icon and drop t into your Applications folder.
And Hi to you, too!

Ah Ha! I suspected something like that, but had no idea what how to tell or what to do! I wish it had walked me thru that. I'm not used to software that doesn't hold your hand thru every single step.

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss918 View Post
for the 3rd Q I believe you just right click on any blank space on the toolbar then choose customise, it should just be a matter of dragging and dropping from there.
Call me blind, I couldn't find it. This is what I see
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 4.png (36.2 KB, 7 views)

Becky
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

You know what; in maybe 2 or 3 years of Firefox usage I don't think I ever remember seeing an icon that can do this.

I think it's a waste of 'real estate' but that is just me. When using Firefox in Mac OS X you just use the key combination Apple+D (command-D) this will add bring up a little 'pop-up' so you can maybe give it a more suitable name and choose if you want it in a folder or just in the main list of bookmarks.

Sorry it's not the answer your looking for, but I'm not sure if there is a way of doing what you want.
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post
You know what; in maybe 2 or 3 years of Firefox usage I don't think I ever remember seeing an icon that can do this.

I think it's a waste of 'real estate' but that is just me. When using Firefox in Mac OS X you just use the key combination Apple+D (command-D) this will add bring up a little 'pop-up' so you can maybe give it a more suitable name and choose if you want it in a folder or just in the main list of bookmarks.

Sorry it's not the answer your looking for, but I'm not sure if there is a way of doing what you want.
NICE! That sounds like a great solution! Thanks. I know what you mean about the waste of real estate, but I'm addicted to bookmarks and with a brand laptop, I'm using it all the time.

Have a good one,

Becky
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I get MS outlook to go to Mail? | 10.3: Office 2004 issues...slightly urgent »