New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Free text editor with Pascal syntax highlighting?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dreamscape

Dreamscape is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 1.2 GHz

Hi everyone! I'm a new Mac user... I just got a really nice and small iBook yesterday, and it's the first Mac computer I've ever used! It's very cool Right now I'm looking for some free text editor for it which would support syntax highlighting of Object Pascal code, because that would be really useful for doing some school stuff. I found one text editor with syntax highlighting, but unfortunately it doesn't support Pascal... Does anyone know about such program which supports it?
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

which one did you try? Smultron supports Pascal so it might be worth a shot?
QUOTE Thanks
Dreamscape

The one I tried is called mi... Thanks for telling me about Smultron, I'll check it out. Right now I've just downloaded Vim for Mac and I'll check if it works...
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light

I was going to suggest Vim, but many people take one look at go "eck! what's this??!! I can't just type!?!"
QUOTE Thanks
Dreamscape

I thought exactly the same thing Well, I almost decided to stay with it, until I noticed that the backspace (delete) key just moves the cursor to the left, but without deleting anything... then I gave up. But I'll try again tomorrow.

And Smultron says that my operating system is too old... it's 10.4.3. Looks like I have to download and install many updates before I'll be able to use it...
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

You should be able to get to 10.4.8 just using the Software Update feature.

Vim is a fantastic editor but with a very strange (for a modern editor) UI paradigm. Backspace actually does delete a character, but only in insert mode. Normally you'd use x. I use Vim for all my editing, but I wouldn't force it on somebody who didn't want it; life's too short
QUOTE Thanks
Dreamscape

Yes, I've noticed that feature... but the problem is that at the moment I have no way to connect my iBook to the internet. My desktop computer's wireless card is connected to a really big antenna on the roof of the house, and that's how I have internet on it. Maybe there's a way to connect my iBook to the desktop computer with a network cable and somehow connect the iBook to the internet through my desktop PC, but I have no idea how to do it...

Thanks for telling me, I'll try using the insert mode. I've noticed that Vim has Pascal syntax highlighting, so I could use it. I have a question about it, though... does it have a feature (I don't know how it's called) which automatically adds spaces at the beginning of each line if there were also spaces before the previous line?
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

Yes, it's called 'autoindent' in Vim. You can set it by typing:

:set autoindent

when you're in command mode. If you're serious about getting to grips with Vim, start it up and stay in command mode, and type:

:help tutorial

This will guide you through most things, including how to have settings stick (hint, you put them in ~/.vimrc)

Did you try Smultron's Pascal mode too? It's a more 'mac-like' application if you find that Vim is overwhelming. TextWrangler is the other one I forgot about earlier
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I was also going to suggest TextWrangler. It's free and does support a lot of stuff like that. It can't hurt to download it and see if it does what you want.
QUOTE Thanks
Dreamscape

Thanks

I haven't been able to try Smultron yet (I need to update my system first), but I'm going to try TextWrangler
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

TextWrangler does support Object Pascal highlighting.
QUOTE Thanks
Dreamscape

Yes, I checked it and it's good... I also updated my system, and Smultron works now. I like it, and I'm going to keep both of them.
QUOTE Thanks
tiina303

tiina303 is on a distinguished road

Can I run Pascal code with smutron? How?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootable backups | Final Cut Studio 2 Question »