using my gmail account with mac mail
    Hey guys-

Have any of you had problems using mac mail without having a .mac account? I'm trying to use gmail with it. I followed the directions on gmail as to how to do it, but I never worked! I re-did it a few times thinking I had made a mistake, but still it never worked.

Then today I was on Amazon looking at a CD on there (alesana :headphone ) and all of a sudden my mac mail opened by iteself and i had a buncha "new" messages that popped up. Ones that were sent to my gmail! I'm guessing I accidentally clicked on "email this web page" or something like that?? But anyways I was really excited until I tried to SEND an email, and got this message: "Cannot send message using the server

The server response was 5.5.1 Authentication Required w43sm6672690pyg

Use the pop-up menu below to try a different outgoing mail server. All messages will use this server until you quit Mail or change your network settings.

Message from: <my name was written here>
    <my gmail address was here>

Send message using: <here was the pop-up menu, it had only one option:>"

then i had these options: edit message, use selected server, and try again later

What am I doing wrong?????!!!!!!

any help would be awesome.

Modesto, Ca.
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    Under Account Settings in Mail look at the bottom for Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP). Click Server Settings and set it to Password and then your gmail username and password.

I remember setting a password before, but when that didn't work I un-did it. I ALMOST didn't try what you said because I had done it before. BUT I DID ANYWAYS AND IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!

dtravis7 = lifesaver

hey guys, new to the forums but I came across this when I was having the same error message, my problem was that I was sending a very large file and I think the server wouldn't allow it. (at least for Gmail) and it said it couldn't send it. Anyway, I deleted the outbox message and then tried sending myself another message and it worked fine. Just a thought.

Thanks! Got mine to work also.

Thread Information