New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Anyone using OpenOffice? Need help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jparker0201

jparker0201 is on a distinguished road

Hello guys. I'm a college kid here and I am trying to find a good word processor without having to purchase Microsoft Office. I have downloaded OpenOffice but I'm having a few difficulties. I know you can set the margins at the tops and side of the page by using the sliders. I know that you can go to page setup in Microsoft Word and set it to one inch margins with no guessing. I can't seem to find this in OpenOffice. Anyone have any suggestions?

MBP 15"
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM
120GB Serial ATA Drive
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker0201 View Post
Hello guys. I'm a college kid here and I am trying to find a good word processor without having to purchase Microsoft Office. I have downloaded OpenOffice but I'm have a few difficulties. I know you can set the margins at the tops and side of the page. I know that you can go to page setup in Microsoft Word and set it to one inch margins with no guessing. I can't seem to find this in OpenOffice. Anyone have any suggestions?
G'day jparker0201 & welcome to Mac-Forums.

I use NeoOffice but as it's almost exactly the same as Oo.o, I looked into it for an answer to your thread.

Place the mouse cursor at the point where the ruler starts/ends to re-adjust the margins vertically/horizontally.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

The setting you're after is in Format -> Page and click the Page tab. Sorted.
QUOTE Thanks
jparker0201

Ah, thank you guys so much! I had figured out moving the slider but that still left me guessing somewhat.

And for some reason I guess I never made my way to the Format----Page option...Thanks again!

MBP 15"
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM
120GB Serial ATA Drive
QUOTE Thanks
jparker0201

Another question for you guys.....When doing the header I need it so it will automatically number the pages....Am I blind and over-looking this again or is it hidden a little better?

Nevermind, found it.

MBP 15"
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM
120GB Serial ATA Drive
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

The OpenOffice help file is very comprehensive and there is a downloadable manual available at openoffice.org. It's probably a good first point of call. Most things are in 'sensible' places but some things (like page formatting) are in a different place to, say, Word.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .mac Backup | X11 and Matlab »