New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Photoshop Elements 4 Mac Vs Photoshop CS2 PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Hey everyone!

On my mac, i run Photoshop elements 4 but have terrible performance issues.
Loading an image takes some time, and applying filters can take anywhere from 2 to 5 minuites which is mad.

On my PC desktop (shudders) i run Photoshop CS2 and it runs amazing. I can apply filters near instant!

Now i understand that Mac version of photoshop runs under rosetta, meaning it wont be as efficient but should it REALLY be that slow?

My mac currently has 512mb Ram, buy having 1Gb will that help a lot?

Current specs for both rigs (mac first pc second)

2.0Ghz Dual Core Intel Duo Core / 3.0Ghz P4
512mb DDR2 ram / 1Gb DDR ram
80gb HDD / 200GB HDD

~~ TS ~~

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

You have to keep in mind that Rosetta is a translation tool and yes it will slow PSE down a lot. Just look at the reviews on Photoshop CS3 (which is a Universal Binary version) that concern the Intel-based Macs (and might I add that Photoshop is a lot heftier app than Elements is) and you'll see what I mean.

It's not, I don't think that Adobe made Photoshop CS3 more efficient: on the contrary apps get features added, hence the code is more complex as versions get upgraded.

More RAM can't hurt for sure and would help you right now in your computing. But if ever you plan on upgrading to a Universal Binary version of Elements in the future, you'll see a huge difference performance-wise, I would think.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

It is definitely the ram that is causing your problem. Being that you are running an application in roessta it is very memory intensive.. even if is Microsoft word, let alone photoshop. IF you upgrade the ram you will notice a very large increase in speed, all around your computer not only rossetta running apps.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Cheers MacHeadCase and PBG4

If i chuck 1Gb in my mac then, for now it should tide me over?

Im not looking for blistering speed since i dont use it that often. But when i do, it would be nice to be able to use filter commands without the ability to make coffee in between each action lol

Is there a projected release date for the UB version of photoshop/elements? as i would also consider upgrading to escape the rosetta situation!

~~ TS ~~

“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I seem to recall, but am not sure 100%, that it should be around next June? Anyone else on this?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

you can get the beta now with your elements serial number ( i can not guarantee this information is correct, but they are doing it for photoshop so I think they are doing it for their whole line.)

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

Just so people know, the release date is meant to be around spring...

Quote:
With the final shipping release of Adobe Photoshop CS3 planned for spring 2007.
- Taken from the Beta release info on Adobe's site

~~ TS ~~

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCal and birthdays | Mount Virtual CD Drive Image »