New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Adium Not Connecting Properly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oneunder311

oneunder311 is on a distinguished road

I have had Adium on my MacBook for a while. I recently just got a new Netgear wireless router. When I attempt to connect with Adium over the wireless network it acts very odd. It connects then disconnects very rapidly and then gives me an error message that reads:

"You have been connecting and disconnecting too frequently. Wait ten minutes and try again. If you continue to try, you will need to wait even longer."

This all happens with me only pressing connect once. I have no idea what is causing this weird behavior. Any advice would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
oneunder311

No one has any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

that's really odd. Is there any advantage with the Netgear Wireless Router over Apple's Airport? I just got Airport Express and have had zero problems with connections.

All signs would point to the router, I guess. Try using a wired connection through your ethernet port to see if the problem vanishes. If so, you know where the problem is. Also, how strong is the signal where you're currently attempting to connect?

QUOTE Thanks
oneunder311

I plugged it in a the problem persists. The router is literally 5 feet from the computer. The even weirder thing is the fact that my PC that is running Gaim and is hooked up to the same router works fine. I'm thoroughly confused.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

perhaps reinstalling Adium would solve the problem. I don't recall any kind of connection preferences in Adium (not that you could access them in the current situation anyway). I believe apps like Appzapper are good for situations like this, as they should clear all traces of the application so you can start fresh.

Have any other internet apps been acting up? Try another chat app to see if the same thing happens to them. If not, then it seems it must be Adium, in which case I'd be trying to reinstall it.

QUOTE Thanks
oneunder311

iChat is doing the exact same thing. I'll try to reinstall and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
rift0065

rift0065 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM

This may not work for your situation but when I was having trouble connecting to Adium I changed the port to 80 and all my problems dissapeared.
QUOTE Thanks
friday9x

friday9x is on a distinguished road

lol i had the same problem, the final test is grab a buddys laptop and try AIM at your house. If it does the same thing, its your router! First step is to dissconnect the power for ten seconds, plug it in, and walahha it (hopefully) will work.
QUOTE Thanks
same

same is on a distinguished road

All you have to do is check the checkbox "Disable SPI Firewall" under WAN in your router settings.

This will solve that problem. The SPI firewall is not the routers main firewall. It is a SECOND firewall that safe guards against DOS attacks. It is not necessary to have enabled.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCal | MS Paint or Photoshop replacement? Try Chocoflop »