Mac Office Student - Use after graduation?
    Hi,

I'm looking to get an iMac soon to replace my awful pos PC (which semi-set itself on fire today!) and am looking at getting Mac Office Student.

I've got 1 1/2 years left at uni and so easily qualify to get it, but I noticed that it says you cant use it once you graduate.

Now is this just something they have to put, but unless you actually tell Microsoft that youve graduated they will do nothing, or when you buy it do you have to state when you graduate and its time bombed from then?

Also, what do people think of NeoOffice?? Is it a good (and MUCH cheaper!!) alternative?

Cheers

Specs:
    MBP 2.0Ghz
    You can buy it and use it forever, you just have to be a student when you buy it.

One thing, its expensive and slow on intel macs, the new version is due soon. Mac office 2007. So to be honest I would use neo office thats what I use, or openoffice is good too. But I can seem to get it to run, but I havent trieed too hard. Just buy office 2007 when its out.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    You are suppose to stop using it after you graduate, but it will still continue to work forever.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" • iPhone 7 • iPad Air • and many iPods
    Quote Originally Posted by ??? View Post
    One thing, its expensive and slow on intel macs, the new version is due soon. Mac office 2007.
    I've been using Office 2004 for Mac on my Intel-based MacBook since I bought it in June, and I have never once observed any slowness.

You can't beat "free" for the alternatives, though. :-)

PBG4 -- According to the license:

(a) You must be a “Qualified Educational User” to license this Software. If you are not a Qualified Educational User or a member of the household of a Qualified Educational User, you have no rights under this EULA and are not authorized or licensed to use this Software in any manner. To be a Qualified Educational User, you must meet the “Qualified Educational-User Criteria” set forth on the product packaging for this Software at the time of installation. If you have any questions concerning the Qualified Educational-User Criteria please contact the Microsoft Sales Information Center/One Microsoft Way/Redmond, WA 98052-6399 or the Microsoft subsidiary serving your country.

I am using it on my MBP C2D and it's certainly running fast enough. Load times can be long -- which is Rosetta, not really Office -- but otherwise it's certainly usable.

Ah brilliant, cheers guys, just what I was after!

Anyone know when 2007 is out?

I've tried OpenOffice which is obviously VERY similar to NeoOffice and its pretty good, only thing is the spreadsheet program. I'm doing an Engineering degree and so need to do some pretty complex spreadsheets. I tried reproducing one of my bits of coursework on Calc the other day and it did it eventually but not as well as Excel and took a lot longer. But then that might jsut be familiarity with the software.

Depending on when I get the mac, I'll probs start with NeoOffice and then depending how it goes get Office 2007 when its out.

Cheers again!

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    PBG4 -- According to the license:

(a) You must be a “Qualified Educational User” to license this Software. If you are not a Qualified Educational User or a member of the household of a Qualified Educational User, you have no rights under this EULA and are not authorized or licensed to use this Software in any manner. To be a Qualified Educational User, you must meet the “Qualified Educational-User Criteria” set forth on the product packaging for this Software at the time of installation. If you have any questions concerning the Qualified Educational-User Criteria please contact the Microsoft Sales Information Center/One Microsoft Way/Redmond, WA 98052-6399 or the Microsoft subsidiary serving your country.

I am using it on my MBP C2D and it's certainly running fast enough. Load times can be long -- which is Rosetta, not really Office -- but otherwise it's certainly usable.
    Thats good to know, I was under the impression that you had to be qualified to use it as well.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

NP, PBG4. Note that the very next clause in the EULA strictly prohibits the use of Student & Teacher edition for any profit-making purpose, so it's still technically a no-no if you use it after school to do anything related to your career (unless your career is at a non-profit).

Thread Information