New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mounting/Unmounting Software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

86Apex

86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

I tried searching for this and didn't find anything, so I apologize in advance if this has already been posted.

I have a MacBook that I use with an external hard drive. I often mount and unmount the external drive without restarting my computer and I find it quite a hassle to have to open disk utility in order to mount it. The reason I mount and unmount is mainly because I don't want to wear out the drive. Is there some sort of script or program that I can use that would make this process easier?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

if you often mount and unmount then i would suggest simply leaving it mounted. the wear and tear of thermal expansion and spin-up/down are probably doing more damage than just leaving it connected.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Leaving it mounted is not going to "wear out" the drive. If you do need to mount/unmount often, the easiest way to re-mount it is simply unplug/plug back in the USB/FireWire cable that connects it. There is really no need to fire up Disk Utility.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Leaving it mounted is not going to "wear out" the drive. If you do need to mount/unmount often, the easiest way to re-mount it is simply unplug/plug back in the USB/FireWire cable that connects it. There is really no need to fire up Disk Utility.
Alright, well I thought there would be an easier way to do this without the hassle of having to either unplug/plug, leave it running or use disk utility. Thanks for the quick reply from both of you, although this isn't quite the answer I was looking for. In case anyone does know of another solution that will work for me, I'd love to give it a shot. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Why aren't you just dragging it to the trash to unmount it. Or select it type type Comand-E to eject it. Once unmounted you just turn it off. When you turn it on, it should just mount it.
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
Why aren't you just dragging it to the trash to unmount it. Or select it type type Comand-E to eject it. Once unmounted you just turn it off. When you turn it on, it should just mount it.
I do use Command-E to unmount, but since my external drive doesn't have an on/off switch I can't just turn it on to have it mount. Not all external drives have on/off switches.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Uh. So the port powers the drive. OK.

Check out this link first and then this link for posible solutions.
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
Uh. So the port powers the drive. OK.

Check out this link first and then this link for posible solutions.
That's exactly what I was looking for. I have yet to try it out, but thank you soooo much.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I agree with eric and D3v1lB0y - leaving it mounted won't cause it to wear out any faster. The fact that it's mounted doesn't interfere with the drive's ability to spin down or go to sleep when it's not used. It will quite happily sit there with the disks stopped despite it being mounted.
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

So I gave both of those scripts a go, and I can't seem to get them to work properly.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with iClip | Creating mountable disk image on Intel Mac »