New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Animated Desktops

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Hey MF users!

A while ago a friend came over with his mac laptop and had an awsome (realistic) aquarium background which was completely animated.

The best bit about it... it was FREEWARE

Since then he has uninstalled it and cant remember what it was called, and i cant find any freeware animated desktops that look any good!

Any one got any links to some cool sites with them on?

Cheers everyone!

~~ TS ~~

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
sshrago

sshrago is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Core Duo, 15" 2Ghz, 2GB RAM

The aquarium was probably the snappily titled Something Fishy: 3D Desktop Aquarium Screensaver. Not strictly freeware (the paid version allows more...erm...fish), but pretty close.
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Thing is though, the version I'm talking about is an actual DESKTOP.

You could still use your mac as normal but your desktop was animated

Cheers anyway sshrago!

~~ TS ~~

“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

try googling it
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

Hey Christm!

I spent a couple of hours googling it yesterday but couldn't find the sort of thing i am looking for. They were either Shareware or looked terrible.

I'll have another look around!

~~ TS ~~

QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

I think there is a program that allows you to use screensavers as your background. Sorry but I can't remember what it was called. Google the fishtank saver and check the results I remember coming across it.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Backlight, from Freshsqueeze.
QUOTE Thanks
techharmony

techharmony is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 iMac, G5 iMac, Mac Mini C2D

Backlight looks cool, and there are a number of programs that allow you to use screensavers as active desktop backgrounds.
Another one is XBack from Gideon http://www.gideonsoftworks.com/xback.html , recently updated 10/2006.
Try looking in MacUpdate or VersionTracker for screensaver and desktop keywords.

FYI, I just checked, there is also a recent item called 3D Desktop Aquarium Screen Saver which is another of the aquarium programs. It is avail as a free-lite or $10-full version, http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19695 -- perhaps this is what they had?

And there is always the Allume commercial AquaZone program... choices, choices...
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

Hey everyone

Thanks for all the posts, ill look into them now and see what looks good!

~~ TS ~~

QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
Backlight, from Freshsqueeze.
appears to be PPC only...
at least that's what my Activity Monitor told me. Also, it didn't work on my macbook - launched and nothing happened - nothing I could find in system preferences, and no indication that anything happened. A search of my HD resulted in only the downloaded file and the app itself.

QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

FWIW, I think the website said it's Universal; I just ran it and it worked on my MBP C2D.
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

I tried it on my intel macbook and it seemed fine

dtownley1, all it does is create an icon on the menu bar which when clicked on you can configure the settings of it. (and turn it on)

~~ TS ~~

QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

TenderSurrender hit on it ... when you see the icon in the menubar, that's it. You have to click on that icon to configure and get it started.

BTW & FWIW, I found that it was eating up a fair bit of system resources, especially CPU time, on my 2.33GHz C2D.
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

In case it's any help, there's another utility - Visage, that also allows you to set screensavers as backgrounds, change login background graphics, etc... and it's definitely a Universal Binary. It's a try-for-free or register for $9.95. I just put it on my machine last night and watched the fishies swim behind the apps. Pretty cool, but pretty distracting after a while.

In Visage you can configure the processor usage for the animation. I found set on Low CPU usage it was eating around 25% of my total processing power (iMac 2.0GHz coreduo).
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderSurrender View Post
I tried it on my intel macbook and it seemed fine

dtownley1, all it does is create an icon on the menu bar which when clicked on you can configure the settings of it. (and turn it on)

~~ TS ~~
Didn't notice anything in the menu bar.
mm, must have been the dmg then. (I think it was dmg) - sometimes there are iffy dmg's, and often require re-downloading. Activity monitor specified it was PPC.

I'll try it again now just to be sure.

edit: OK, got it to work now. Also, I couldn't find any mention on their site of whether it was intel or not. But this should confirm it:

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ms word settings or clean uninstall? | iTunes Music Folder (Invisible)? »