New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Outlook .pst file to Apple Mail

Thread Closed

baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

A friend of my wife's from work just bought himself a Mac. He wants to move his outlook mail over to Apple mail. I found Outlook2Mac, but I want to see if there is a better or easier way to this.

Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

no idea, but something i may be interested in as well, get my personal email over to OSX.

Are there any other mail client options for OSX as well?
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Try this link?

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...61104002244385
sshrago

sshrago is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Core Duo, 15" 2Ghz, 2GB RAM

I have (successfully) used O2M to migrate from Outlook 2003 (Windows) to both Entourage and finally Mail.app.

I searched for a long time to try and find cheaper (free) methods, but this seemed to work out the best for me. The main advantage was that O2M allowed me to transfer mail, as well as contacts and calendar information. Note: I am not 100% convinced that the contacts conversion is completely perfect - I suspect I am missing a couple of phone numbers from a couple of contacts. But then I did transfer over 4000 records, so it was not too bad.

Mail-wise, O2M pulled it off perfectly.

If I was *just* transferring mail then I would probably load Thunderbird onto the windows pc, import the mail to it and them copy the .mbx files over manually. I have tried this for moving mail from Linux to Mail.app, and it seems to work pretty well. Not fast, mind you.

Good luck,

Steven
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Outlook2Mail is great. Well worth the few dollars it costs.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

One more vote for Outlook2Mac here.

It costs ten bucks and does exactly what it's supposed to do-- get you from Outlook to Mac Mail. I'm not sure how much "better or easier" it could be.

I took several years of Outlook (and Outlook Express mail, by adding an extra step) and migrated it to the Mac in about 10 minutes, attachments and all. Here's the thread where I talked about my experiences with Outlook2Mac.
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

Just a question, i love outlooks right click / create rule feature.

does mail. have this rule feature, or is it cumbersome like thunderbird where you have to go into a menu and tell it what item to look for and such?
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Nooooo.... don't spend any money, there's no need.

On the Windows machine, download Thunderbird, from Mozilla.

In Thunderbird, import from Outlook (it's v easy, just follow the instructions).

Then... find your Thunderbird files (the site has a great FAQ, I am at work so can't walk you through this, but it's the usual documents and settings, yourname, local settings, application data etc... and you're looking for two files, which will be called Mail and Sent (I think). Just rename them to Mail.mbx and Sent.mbx, copy them over to your Mac and, woohoo, you can import them to virtually any Mail App.

That's how I did it anyway... into Entourage and Mail.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

pfdr17

pfdr17 is on a distinguished road

I've got a gigantic .pst file and my Mac. I can use either Entourage or Mail, and I just want to get the stuff off my pst and be done with it. I do not have access to the PC anymore, though... is there anything I can do, or do I just need to find a PC? Thanks!
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Zoolook's is the best free way of transferring Outlook's mail from PC to Mac

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
Udjamini

Udjamini is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, Time Capsule...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Nooooo.... don't spend any money, there's no need.

On the Windows machine, download Thunderbird, from Mozilla.

In Thunderbird, import from Outlook (it's v easy, just follow the instructions).

Then... find your Thunderbird files (the site has a great FAQ, I am at work so can't walk you through this, but it's the usual documents and settings, yourname, local settings, application data etc... and you're looking for two files, which will be called Mail and Sent (I think). Just rename them to Mail.mbx and Sent.mbx, copy them over to your Mac and, woohoo, you can import them to virtually any Mail App.

That's how I did it anyway... into Entourage and Mail.
I have been attempting to go this route, but it seems like Thunderbird is only importing Outlook mail thats currently in my Outlook at present, which happens to be a work account through an exchange server. I would like to import a different PST file that I have saved from my personal account over the years, which is not in Outlook anymore, but saved on a file on a CD. I'm guessing im out of luck but would love it if someone could correct me if I'm wrong. When i choose "import" in Thunderbird, it doesnt ask me for a PST location, but rather appears to be importing my exchange mail and therefore crashes.
mikkel

mikkel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udjamini View Post
I have been attempting to go this route, but it seems like Thunderbird is only importing Outlook mail thats currently in my Outlook at present, which happens to be a work account through an exchange server. I would like to import a different PST file that I have saved from my personal account over the years, which is not in Outlook anymore, but saved on a file on a CD. I'm guessing im out of luck but would love it if someone could correct me if I'm wrong. When i choose "import" in Thunderbird, it doesnt ask me for a PST location, but rather appears to be importing my exchange mail and therefore crashes.

I am in the same situation and am trying to find a solution. Did you ever manage to find an easy route?

I would love to avoid having to break out the old pc and then import the .pst files from the cd and so forth.

best regards
Mikkel
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Jeebus H. Cripes, spend the frickin' $10 on O2M already! Sheesh!

It WORKS, and it will be DONE. People who will waste hours and effort trying to find a free solution (like the silly and convoluted "just port it all through two email programs!" nonsense) remind of people who will drive to a mall all the way across town (in their Hummer!) for an hour to save $1 on a purchase.
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I have to agree with chas_m. O2M is only 10 bucks and it works so nice and easy. As we say here in Texas - no fuss, no muss, no cuss.
SeanF

SeanF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I have to agree with chas_m. O2M is only 10 bucks and it works so nice and easy. As we say here in Texas - no fuss, no muss, no cuss.
Hmmm... Most of the solution assume that the Outlook data is coming from a Windows machine (pst file). I want to transfer data from Outlook on a Mac into Apple Mail on a Mac. The only supported export format in Outlook Mac is .ost and that's not a supported import format in Apple Mail.

Thoughts?

Thread Closed

« Problem creating PDFs from Word | Entourage 2004 with Hotmail »