New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

AppZapper vs AppDelete: Opinions Please.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pruppert

pruppert is on a distinguished road

I've been researching programs which help delete applications and their accompanying preference and support files, and there seem to be two that keep popping up: AppZapper and AppDelete.

Both appear to have the same features, however, AppZapper costs $12.95 and AppDelete is freeware. Is anyone aware of any negligible differences between these two apps which would warrant the price of AppZapper?

Basically, I'm going to download one of them to help keep my system clean and am currently leaning towards AppDelete. What do you all think?

Thank you in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Well I have used the trial version of AppZapper and I gotta admit that zapping sound was pretty cool ... but in the end I just figured it was as easy to use Spotlight.

So my 0.2¢ is if you want the no hassles uninstallation treatment then go with a 3rd party app - I can't comment on AppDelete as I haven't used it.

If on the other hand you don't mind taking a lil' peek under the hood then I'd give Spotlight a go.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

AppDelete for Mac: Use it with care. AppZapper usually finds the related files. I bought my licence and I'm happy to help out the Mac shareware developer community whenever I can and when the apps are worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
slonitchik

slonitchik is on a distinguished road

AppZapper does have the same Problem as AppDelete do with FIRE. If you'll try to zap FIRE, AppZapper wants to zap Firefox plist too! The whole story you can read here (for englisch readers you have to switch to english first)
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Well I use AppZapper and I'm a great advocate of it. It offers the better UI experience, and it simply is simple. It also shows you your related stuff, while AppDelete doesn't. AppZapper is more feature-rich, overall.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
Laytonx

Laytonx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro

I use AppZapper as well and love it.

adampenney.com
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I vote AppZapper too. Its an awesome little app.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Gcane93

Gcane93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
AppDelete for Mac: Use it with care. AppZapper usually finds the related files. I bought my licence and I'm happy to help out the Mac shareware developer community whenever I can and when the apps are worth it.

I just purchased this software, too. But, still have not receive the registration code. How long does it take to get the code? Thanks.

>ipod Photo 20GB. >2G ipod Nano 4GB SE Product Red; Nike+ Kit. >MacBook Pro 15" - 2.16GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, HDD 500GB >iMac 20" - 2.16GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo. > ipod Nano 8G 3Gen. > iPod Classic 80G. > iPhone 3G 16GB & 3GS 32GB & iPhone 4 32GB. > iPod Touch 16GB.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 — Tiger and OS 9

Quite a while ago I had loaded NeoOffice or OpenOffice (I forget which), then dumped it, using Spotlight, the Command-F search and EasyFind to nuke its pieces after trashing the app.

The app had hidden a few files in the system folder, so they were invisible and untrashable in OS X other than through Terminal that I was wary of using. So I made all files visible, booted into OS 9 and dragged the files to the trash.

Would AppZapper have found and deleted those invisible files in the system folder that also would have required root? Would AppDelete?

My contention (though I have used neither) is that of Pulse-8. Both are nothing more than crippled search engines that move anything with the relevant words to the trash — sometimes mistakenly. At other times they leave files behind.

AppZapper can be dangerous, so its simplification for new users is misplaced.

I fail to see the point of using them, and especially paying for the privilege.
QUOTE Thanks
andrebnu

andrebnu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
Sorry, but I don't see how this great application can be dangerous..

I'd rather tell a newbie to use this software, than saying, "hey, do a search with spotlight and starts deleting whatever it happens to find".

Also, if it's not fail-proof, at least it shows you all the related files that will be "zapped" away...so you can unselect at your choice if needed.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 — Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebnu View Post
Sorry, but I don't see how this great application can be dangerous.
The dangerous remark references MHC's link and its story.
Quote:
I'd rather tell a newbie to use this software, than saying, "hey, do a search with spotlight and starts deleting whatever it happens to find".
Who would tell a new user any such thing? Besides, it's AppZapper that more likely would do this. If you've paid money to do as it tells you, why doubt it?
Quote:
Also, if it's not fail-proof, at least it shows you all the related files that will be "zapped" away...so you can unselect at your choice if needed.
Why pay to do this when you can do the same thing with Spotlight?
QUOTE Thanks
andrebnu

andrebnu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

MHC's link was about APPDelete, not APPZapper.

MHC does use APPZapper, and advocates it.

It's purely a matter of choice. You can always do it through the spotlight.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcane93 View Post
I just purchased this software, too. But, still have not receive the registration code. How long does it take to get the code? Thanks.
Gcane, I would email the developers so they can check on this mishap. Click on Suport button, they'll get back to you in a jiffy.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

One of the dangers I see with a new Mac OS X user being told to perform a search with Spotlight and delete all files that has the name of the app is where there are plug-ins entirely independent from the app's install itself like for instance a QuickTime plug-in or an extension that adds functionality to another app.

We long-time experienced Mac OS X users can use our judgment in the deletions of these files and can see the interconnection I mention above, but a new user will blindly delete then use some functionality in another app.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« instant messaging | Mistakes...... »