New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iMac - Installation

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gerald

Gerald is on a distinguished road

I am a music producer and I had installed a couple of programs on there for music production. But for some reason I installed them incorrectly. But I didn't know how to uninstall them so I googled it and it said to transfer the files to the trash so I did

and after that I shutdown the computer and restarted it. But when I tried to re-install the program it wouldn't let me

and now I have a couple of questions

Is there a system restore for macs?

Is their a way to boot it over, so I can start from scratch with the original programs on it?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

First, let me welcome you to Mac-Forums, Gerald. I hope you enjoy it here and hang around.

Second, when you try to uninstall things you can, yes, do it by hand but some programs scatter some files all over the hard drive so it's handier to use an uninstaller like AppZapper if the program doesn't come with its own uninstaller, that is. You can always do a SpotLight search for rogue files on your hard drive though.

Third, I think the apps you are trying to reinstall are finding the rogue files and think that you already have the apps installed.

Fourth, unless you made a backup of your system, no you cannot restore the system you had. Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) will change all that in the near future but for now you are always better to do backups. I use SuperDuper! to backup my system to an external FireWire hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Gerald

Thank you for the advice I found the other files in spotlight, now how do I take those off
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Same as you did with the apps themselves. Just drag them to the trash and empty the trash.
QUOTE Thanks
Gerald

thank you so much
QUOTE Thanks
Gerald

when I tried to install the program again it said "you cannot continue. There is nothing to install"
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Crap there are other files left somewhere, then... Can you do a Spotlight with maybe the company names of the programs you had installed? Example: Adobe Photoshop. Other than that, someone else will have to jump in here, I'm at a loss. Sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
Gerald

is there a way I can re-boot the mac to have it's original settings back on, so I can re-register it
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

The problem doesn't seem to be OS X, but the application you are trying to install. They are either finding them self already installed, or as mentioned finding a file that indicates that.

First, have you emptied the trash? You'll find that under the Finder's 'Finder' menu heading.

You might be better off going to the vendors site and looking at their FAQ or forums for answers. At minimum, you need to tell us what the application names are. That kind of detail can help.

Places to look for extra files have been mentioned here before. Search for 'uninstalling applications'.
QUOTE Thanks
Gerald

yes I emptied the trash

The program is Hypersonic 2, by Steingberg and it's a vst program
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
yes I emptied the trash
I figured as much, but had to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
The program is Hypersonic 2, by Steingberg and it's a vst program
Before reading the rest of this message, check number 8 at this link. Also review the issues on that first page because maybe you might recognize your original problem. Otherwise...

The install instructions (ftp download) may give you a clue. The first one being, remove the key.

Various search strings in Spotlight may help find that posible extra file. So try Hypersonic, then Steinberg, then Syncrosoft, then VST.

By the way I had trouble finding their English page, so here it is. From there, you should be able to contact them for help.
QUOTE Thanks
Gerald

thank you so much
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OmniWeb | Audio Hijack vs Wiretap Pro »