New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

*NEWBIE* question! when i download a program-it ends up on my desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

how do i get it so its nice and organized myd esktop is very cluttered

for example last night i dled tranmission torrent program and flip4mac...

the transission program left like two files on my desktop and the flip4mac left one...what am i suposed to do with it? how do i make it so that it appears on my dock and is nice and organized and not on my desktop

gah dumb newbie question i know
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

You likely downloaded DMG files, which are compressed Disk image files (somewhat similar to ZIP files). Just doubleclick on the icon and it will extract, then go into the folder that is produced and follow the instructions (there's usually a README or something). Most of the time, all you have to do is drag the main application in the folder to the Application folder, sometimes you're required to double-click an installer file- it just depends on the particular program.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

check this - it has all the answers...

I need help

also check this thread for lots of good info:

A quick summary of my problems. Read this if you're a new switcher!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

If you like a clean desktop create a downloads folder in your user folder and tell all your apps to put downloads there.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any alternatives to Skype for OS X? | DVD burner »