New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

I need a specific alphabetizing program. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maccccman

maccccman is on a distinguished road

OK!
As short and sweet as I can. I have a ton of backed up movies I would like to alphabetize the titles of, but not the coinciding number in front of them. I inadvertently didn't thing of this until all these movies were "numbered."

These titles....

1. Die Hard
2. Zoolander
3. Willy Wonka
4. As good As It Gets
5. Happiness

....should look like this:

4. As Good As It Gets
1. Die Hard
5. Happiness
3. Willy Wonka
2. Zoolander

I don't care about the number part being out of order. I just want to be able to look a title up by the name, and reference the number to grab without having to scroll through hundreds of movies. I thought this was a no-brainer, and there would be a program out there? PLEASE HELP!!!!

e-mail me if you need to: phinz13@cox.net

Thanks a million!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

are you talking about movie files within finder or a text list you have somewhere?

if it's finder, i'm not sure how you would do this.

if it's a list, it shouldn't be too hard. i know for windows, the program textpad (shareware) can sort by a column, so if you wanted to sort by the third or fourth character in every line, you could do that. smultron for macs, may have the same functionality, but i haven't tried that yet...
QUOTE Thanks
maccccman

I have a Mac, so I tried the Smultron app with no luck. Thanks though. I should clarify it is in fact, a list that was made in a appleworks word document, and I DO want the numbers to stay with the titles. I need the words alphabetized, but move the words and the numbers in front of them to a coinciding alphabetical order as my example shows in my initial post.

Any one else have any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

again (in order to help you better), is this a text file or are they actual files in a folder, or something else?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

As far as I know, there is no way of alphabetizing them as long as they have the number in front.
What you could do, is simply use the search bar at the top of the Finder window. Just plug in your title you want to find, and then limit the search to that particular folder. That will find the specific title you are looking for and isolate it for you.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (169.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: png Picture 2.png (108.7 KB, 15 views)

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
simply use the search bar at the top of the Finder window
d'oh, so obvious!
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
As far as I know, there is no way of alphabetizing them as long as they have the number in front.
What you could do, is simply use the search bar at the top of the Finder window. Just plug in your title you want to find, and then limit the search to that particular folder. That will find the specific title you are looking for and isolate it for you.
I have to ask, where did the watermark-type symbols come from on your finder window? i.e., crossout circle, "i", and the eject
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina View Post
I have to ask, where did the watermark-type symbols come from on your finder window? i.e., crossout circle, "i", and the eject
They are part of the ShapeShifter icon set, "Cathode" I think it is called. Same set that gives the black folders and icons.

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
maccccman

I could do the search as you pointed out, but it's not a fact of where it's at on my computer....I know the folder. I just would like to eliminate having to scroll through 1000 movies in appleworks to find a certain title. If you type in under the finder window, it points out the folder, but I still have to scroll through that. I plan to be mobile with this set, and would like to have a hard copy without having to take a computer with me. Plus there are always those times where you know the movies begins with a certain letter, you just can't think of the name? This would help. I really can't believe there isn't a program out there for this, but 'oh well. Thanks again though guys!
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

spotlight search the file?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

you could use neooffice or whatever the new version of calc is to create a csv of the file (space delimited or period delimited if each of your numbers has a period after it as you show in your example). then your titles should be in the second column of a spreadsheet formatted file. then it's a simple click to sort by the second column.

if you are still in need of help by the next time i get to my mac, i could probably do a step-by-step using neooffice or a text editor. i'll subscribe to this thread to remind myself to check...
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

hey eric i changed my signature for you
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccccman View Post
I know the folder. I just would like to eliminate having to scroll through 1000 movies in appleworks to find a certain title. If you type in under the finder window, it points out the folder, but I still have to scroll through that.
I was under the impression that these were all seperate movie files, named accordingly. I used my Pictures folder with several different files in it and used one particular title to locate that one, specific file. If that is the case, then limiting the search to the particular folder will eliminate scrolling as the example pics I included shows.

If this is a document with titles on it, then the method I suggested obviously won't work.
If it is a document, when you have said document open, you could use the Command+F key combo and that will automatically go to the title you plug into that prompt.

QUOTE Thanks
eric

Quote:
If it is a document, you could use the Command+F key combo and that will automatically go to the title you plug into that prompt.
i get the impression from his last post that he may be in a situation where he'll have the movies and a hard copy of the list but not the computer. in this case, searching a softcopy of the file wouldn't work.

i'm also guessing to that this isn't a one time sort, that you may add dvds to the file and need to resort at that time. the fix i've suggested above, and will try to help further with should help you maccccman.

matt, i don't think i've given you a hard time about your grammer have i? it's funny anyway, the sig i mean!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccccman View Post
I really can't believe there isn't a program out there for this, but 'oh well. Thanks again though guys!
Do you always give up so easily.

If this is a plain text file output from Appleworks, I know this can be altered, because I have done something similar in the past. I'm on vacation, so won't consider writing the needed script until next week. You'll have to ask politely.

If this is an Appleworks file, I have no answer because that gets complicated. Perhaps their are some functions that could be applied to clean up the data properly into separate columns. That would depend on which Appleworks application you used to create your list.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How To Sync "Sent" Mails? | Mac Office Student - Use after graduation? »