New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mac Mail app questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

How do I get Apple mail. I ended up with .mac mail and I don't know if I want to pay the annual fee for .mac. Is Apple and .mac mail the same thing?
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

you get apple mail when you sign up for .mac. i would stick with the .mac because you can do all kinds of good things with it.
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

join the free trial before you buy though to see if u like it.
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

I'm in the free trial now but I'm only using e-mail. I have explore the rest of the package to see if I want to stick with it. Not sure how much I'll use.
I just thought that apple mail was something different. Thanks for the quick reply.
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

youll love the idisk its just like a network drive.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Apple's Mail application is simply an email client. You do not need to have a .Mac email address to use it. You can use it with just about any email address that supports POP3 or IMAP.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

I'm still confused! I'm on a trial .mac account and I'm using the .mac mail. If I choose not to subscribe, what are my e-mail options? I did a web search and I'm told there is a max OSX e-mail. Is that built in or do I have to sign up for it? Also I'm told there is Eudora, Mozilla, etc. Do these work the same as .mac with my stamp icon? Does anyone have an e-mail account that you recommend?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Your STAMP icon is OSX's Mail. It will work with any POP or IMAP email account. I have all my email coming into Mail and it works great. There are other Email clients like you mentioned, but Mail works fine for all I do.

Mail is an Email Client and not an account. Most free email services are WEB based though except Googles Gmail.
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

So you're saying I'll need a POP or IMAP account to work with OSX's mail? In other words, I'll need an account? Is .mac WEB based and should I use one that is or isn't? And what is gmail?
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Houston, we have a newb.

To whoever gave me the bad reputation, I didn't mean this in a bad way. I like having a switcher, and a newbie to Mac OS X!
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

The program Mail that comes built into OS X is an application for reading and writing email.

Your .mac email address is an account where you can receive emails.

These are two different things. Mail is your kitchen table where you can sit down to read your mail and write letters. The .mac account is your street address, where people send your mail.

If you don't want to pay for the .mac account after the free trial, there are plenty of other options for getting a new "street address" ... you can use Mail with almost all of them. One example is Gmail, which is a free email account you can get from Google. You can get an account by going to www.gmail.com. You can then access your Gmail account in Mail by following these easy steps.

First step would be to contact the company that provides your internet access (cable company, phone company, AOL, whatever). You probably have a free email account through that company as part of your internet access fee each month.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Todd, very good answer. I was thinking on how to answer her but did not want to cause confusion. Good job.
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Thanks so much I finally understand what OSX mail is. Also, I do have e-mail through my satellite provider, but it's not very good, thought I could do better with another one. I did find a thread about gmail and that helped too. This forum is a lifesaver for a switcher...You guys are great!
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

WooHooo Todd! =) great response!

QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Glad I could help. Welcome to Macs!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Resume not opening in Word format. | Starcraft problems »