Thread: POP3 problem

POP3 problem
    Hi there,

I've just made the switch and I think I'm in love with my Macbook pro. My pupils dilate every time I look at it, and that's even before I start using it.

Just one problem at the moment. I've configured my POP3 account (Tiscali) and although it's receiving emails fine it won't send them. I've checked that I've inputted the SMTP name correctly so I'm not sure what's going wrong.

Any ideas pleaaase?

Shark

PS. When I try to send it says that the sender address was rejected by the server.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark Trager View Post
    PS. When I try to send it says that the sender address was rejected by the server.
    Double and triple check your settings. I take it your using mail right. Sounds like it doesn't like your username try working on that. I Went to Tiscali's web site really no help with mac software. Let me know if you need further assitance.
    What is the distance between here and now anyway?:mac:

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System

Specs:
    MacBook
    What program are you using for your e-mail?
    What is the provider for the e-mail account?

It could simply be a problem with the address you are trying to send to, as well. This wouldn't have anything to do with your settings at all.
    What domain are you trying to send to?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Hi guys, thanks for replying.

I am using Mail. I'm pretty sure all my settings are correct (as far as I know) because I am receiving email. I've tried sending to a few addresses and no joy. The POP account is from Tiscali.

Should I delete and re input the account?

I had the exact opposite problem. I could send mail out but could not receive. It was my server's fault and they eventually fixed the issue.
    In your outgoing mail server (found if pref. in mail) is there only ONE outgoing mail server name -- when you click on the arrow, make sure there's only one. Sometimes it will flip back and forth and cause problems. Is it authenticated as password or not? Sometimes playing around with that option helps too.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" • iPhone 6 • iPad Air • and many iPods
    Check with your ISP. Some don't use standard ports for SMTP.

Some use port 25, but many have started to switch to other ports, most commonly port 587 (which is used by gmail).

Also, make sure your ISP knows you want to send using their server-- oftentimes there's a setting you need to select so they know you can send mail through them.

What is the error you're seeing?

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    I had the SAME problem - could receive mail just fine, but not send it. SAME error. I resolved it by clearing the outgoing mail settings for using userid and password. When I set this to "no authentication" (sorry, I am travelling and not at my Mac, so I can't tell you the exact field names) it started to work just fine. Scary, but it works. It can't REALLY be sending without authentication - I am assuming there is a bug in Mail.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

I never had problems with my mail going thru my ISP til lately. Although now everything is working (fingers crossed).
    But I bet the problem lies in that outgoing mail server. I'd try with password being the authentication first and you might see something like.... mail.your server name.net.your username
    If that doesn't work, try.... NO authentication and you'll see....mail.your server name.net(or com - whichever your server is using)

Thread Information