New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Promising New (Freeware) Text/Programmer's Editor for Mac OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have recently come across a promising new text or programmers editor for Mac OS X and thought I would let everyone know. In the world of free editors for Mac OS X, there has been good ol' TextEdit (included with Mac OS X) and TextWrangler, an excellent package derived from BBEdit (I think).

There is a new kid on the block now, with the unwieldy name of Smultron. I ran across it while reading a "new shareware" review. I have downloaded it and tried it and it looks very promising. Nice clean interface, big bright icons, lots of useful extras like snippets (save off and easily reuse routinely occuring text fragments), syntax color coding and more. It looks like a grate package, and it is a Cocoa app as well, which is great.

Give it a go - you may like it! Visit http://smultron.sourceforge.net. A Mac smultron.app file can be downloaded from there.

...no, I am not the author of Smultron. After looking at it, I wish I was! :-)

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

sounds a bit like textpad for windows (which i miss).

there were no screnshots on the site...
can it basically work like a simple text editor with full clipboard support, good (word/phrase) replacement, multiple files in one window, etc?

i guess i could just dl it and find out eh?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

I haven't experimented enough with it yet, but according to the web site, it does multiple files with a tabbed interface or a split screen interface (nice!), basic copy/paste (that's your clipboard question I think) and Find and Replace (your word/phrase replace question). So, sounds good.

Performance is good too. It starts up quite quickly, which I like. It is faster to get going than TextWrangler, and in general faster to get going than many Cocoa apps I have.

So far, I am pleased with the small amount of work I have done with it so far.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yeah I put a link to Smultron in the seamonkey (mozilla) thread after someone suggested NVu. I have had it here sitting on my hard drive for at least a year but simply have not had the time to mess with it all that much.
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

I've been using Smultron about 2-3 times a week for awhile and it's great. I've never had any issues at all- it's very useable, definitely the best I've come across, for free.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

I have now had the time to do some serious work with Smultron, and I am IMPRESSED. This may be one of the best text editors I have ever used. I am the author of the venerable open source console text editor VE, so I like to think that I know whereof I speak. If I had designed a GUI text editor, it would be Smultron. An excellent package. I am very pleased with it. I have removed TextWrangler from my Dock and replaced it with Smultron.

Now, if I could just figure out where that goofy name ("Smultron") came from... :-)

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

doesn't it just mean strawberry in the programmer's language?
just from what i remember on the site...

i like it too. probably for different reasons. i just like a decently featured text editor rather than using a full office equivelent or stripped down textpad type program.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

I looked it up on Wikipedia. Here is what they say:

"The name of the application is derived from the common Swedish Woodland Strawberry, hence the application symbol."

You had it right eric.

Now for the next question! WHAT does a strawberry have to do with text editing?

QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
Now for the next question! WHAT does a strawberry have to do with text editing?
I guess the name helps when you need to create an individual icon for the software.....
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I've used Smultron for a few months when I just need a quick note and don't fancy firing up Vim (Smultron is much more 'mac-like', although Vim is still my swiss army knife editor).
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazabam View Post
I've used Smultron for a few months when I just need a quick note and don't fancy firing up Vim (Smultron is much more 'mac-like', although Vim is still my swiss army knife editor).
I agree with cazabam. Vim is a handy editor and it is extremely customizable.

If you are looking for a mac-like editor, try Textmate.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Note however that TextMate costs GBP 39.00, whereas Smultron is FREE!

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Heads up, Mac-Forums people!

Smultron has been updated to version 2.2.6 and a freebie plugin for TextMate to add XML and XHTML validity checking in TextMate files.
QUOTE Thanks
MiddleFingerMan

MiddleFingerMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac: 24" display, 2.8GHz, 2G RAM, 320MB hard drive

NICE! I'm a "switcher" and have been having trouble finding a good editor and it looks like the Open Source app with the odd name is a winner!

I see that someone mentioned NVu... that's a crap app in my opinion.

Thanks for filling us in on this one mac57! Great find!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please Help Me | Setting default icons for file formats »