New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How to play .WMV files on MAC.OSX ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNewbie View Post
what is "ppc"?

and flip4mac is "pay only" ?are there any free alternatives
VLC

its free and will play .wmv files

www.versiontracker.com

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
glyndav

glyndav is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.33 Macbook Pro, 2gb Ram, 120gb hdd

I'm fairly new as well, but by PPC I think he means power pc, so it would run on an Intel Mac through Rosetta and the performance would not be as good

However, as stated, flip4mac is now in universal binary so will run as it should do .
QUOTE Thanks
rbaishnab

Question on VLC. Stumbled upon this thread because unable to play .wmv on Dual Intel MacBook pro. Do have VLC. Opens and plays, but no sound. Verified not on MUTE. Critical beeps are audible. Had to force quit as well.

Questions:

1. How do I get sound to work?

2. Why did I have to force quit?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
flip4mac is "pay only" ?are there any free alternatives
flip4mac is free for playback. Pay features are related to the encoding capabilities I believe. Also note that Microsoft DRM videos don't play on a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaishnab View Post
Question on VLC.

I always have to move the volume control to the right on my tower. For some reason VLC has always starts at zero volume for me on that machine. I just did a quick test on my MBP and volume was on.

Normally you shouldn't have to force quit. VLC might take a few moment to quit sometimes.
QUOTE Thanks
ste6168

ste6168 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

Quote:
what is "ppc"?

and flip4mac is "pay only" ?are there any free alternatives
ppc stands for powerPC, the older processors in Mac, G5 G4 G3 and so on...

I thought that flip4 mac was free, but if it does cost money, i dont know how much, but if your just trying to convert video you have previously saved on your hard drive, then you could use visualhub to convert them, another program that costs money but could be cheaper than flip4mac, but this option will not have any browser or on the fly conversion like flip4mac would. HTH
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

i feel like an idiot. I dont know why i said its for ppc. I have the intel version and its been out longer than I've had this mac. wow

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaishnab View Post
Question on VLC. Stumbled upon this thread because unable to play .wmv on Dual Intel MacBook pro. Do have VLC. Opens and plays, but no sound. Verified not on MUTE. Critical beeps are audible. Had to force quit as well.

Questions:

Thank you

i have the same problems
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

oh and how come no one mentioned using Windows Media Player 9 for MAC osx????

from windows site:

"Sporting a new brushed steel skin for Apple's newest operating system, this new version of our player opens the world of Windows Media 9 content to Macintosh users."
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

Quote:
oh and how come no one mentioned using Windows Media Player 9 for MAC osx????

from windows site:

"Sporting a new brushed steel skin for Apple's newest operating system, this new version of our player opens the world of Windows Media 9 content to Macintosh users."
it hasent been updated in a very long time.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« World of Warcraft | Call of Duty 2? »