New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

EyeTV Deinterlace

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fromasta Flex

Fromasta Flex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

Anyone who has EyeTV, can anyone use progressive scan without trouble on a macbook? I know it says it requires a fast mac, but I have a 2 Ghz core duo macbook with 1 GB ram and although it displays progressive scan alright, if i record it it gets very choppy, and then the audio is off in the ipod export of the recording as well. I thought I had a pretty fast mac but apparently it's not fast enough?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

What product are you using and what video quality are you attempting to record at

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

I'm using a beta, 2.3.3b8, but on the latest final release it happens as well. I'm recording at best quality (720x480). Should this be working or is my computer just not fast enough?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I believe your computer is not fast enough, I think when they say a fast mac they mean a powermac or a mac pro.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromasta Flex View Post
I'm using a beta, 2.3.3b8, but on the latest final release it happens as well. I'm recording at best quality (720x480). Should this be working or is my computer just not fast enough?
I wasn't asking software. Hardware wise what tuner are you using? And what is the file format you are recording

QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

sorry...i have an eyetv hybrid, and it's recording to a .eyetv format, since thats how eyetv works until you export. i guess i just won't record using progressive scan. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

It records it in to a specific format, but it uses the .eyetv extension until you actually export the file (You will notice if you export it in whatever the native stream that you import it in as that it goes incredibly fast). You can see the format in preferences.

The big problem you are running into is that the Hybrid has to do all of the processing on your computer. It can handle the live deinterlacing because it doesn't need to worry about writing it to the hard drive.

I have a Plextor unit which has hardware encoding so my MacBook doesn't have to do any of the actual video encoding, freeing up the processor almost completely for the deinterlacing

QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

I've just noticed that sometimes it is ok, however. Should I close other programs when recording maybe? Also, does the fact that I'm recording to an external harddrive have anything to do with it? Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

the external drive shouldn't be a problem since both firewire and usb2.0 can transfer faster than the size of video being recorded.

When you are recording take a look in Activity monitor at your processor and ram usage to see how much is being taken up. I like to restart my computer to clear the memory when i am going to record a show and don't use any other programs (my favorite part of having two machines)

QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

while recording progressive scan and using ichat, firefox, virtuedesktops and widgets, activity monitor says %user: ~%70 and %system: ~6%. I'm not sure what anything means in the activity monitor...

anyway, while recording just then, everything went smoothly, except when i exported the short clip for ipod, the audio was a fraction of a second off, but nothing that bad. I wonder why that happened though.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Quote:
while recording progressive scan and using ichat, firefox, virtuedesktops and widgets, activity monitor says %user: ~%70 and %system: ~6%. I'm not sure what anything means in the activity monitor...

anyway, while recording just then, everything went smoothly, except when i exported the short clip for ipod, the audio was a fraction of a second off, but nothing that bad. I wonder why that happened though.
More important than what percentages being used is the percentage that is idle.

QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

percentage idle appears to be hopping anywhere from 20-30%
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Quote:
percentage idle appears to be hopping anywhere from 20-30%
That should be fine for when you are recording. Means you still have some available processor for encoding/deinterlacing. It shouldn't be choppy as long as you still have idle processor amounts. If you are hitting 0-1% then that would explain why you are choppy. Also check system memory to see if you have any available

QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

It gets close to 1000 MB when recording, did you say I should restart to help that?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Restarting clears out the memory that is allocated for applications that you used at some point

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sleepy Time with iTunes! | Email Apps. - Choices, choices, choices... »