New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Essentials...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chicago

chicago is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM

Hello's to all...
I'm new to this forum due to the fact that I just got a MacBook Pro this weekend. For the longest time I've had PC's are my finger tips. I work on a Mac at my office and when I was in school. So, I know some things about macs, but not as much as I do about PC's. With that said...

I was curious if there are any essential programs I need to install onto my laptop to keep it lean and clean?

Here are a couple I've found that might be good to have?

Thank you for any thoughts, suggestions and help given. I know I could search this forum for everything, but quite frankly, I don't have the time since I'm at work right now.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i don't have experience with the ones you mentioned - but for the "lean and mean" angle i've seen "onyx" mentioned a few times on these boards (also lets you switch on/off hidden file viewing). i downloaded it and have used it a few times and it works like a charm.

i'd also suggest:

unison (excellent newsreader)

and checking the thread for "switchers guide to osx" right here on these forums.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

perhaps we should create a sticky topic to address this question? In the relatively short time I've been here so far, I recall around 3 previous topics asking the same thing.

Once established I think it should be locked (editable to mods) so people don't add too much to it. I think it would make a great 1st stop to people in Chicago's situation

QUOTE Thanks
chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
and checking the thread for "switchers guide to osx" right here on these forums.
Thank you for that link. VERY helpful.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownley1 View Post
perhaps we should create a sticky topic to address this question? In the relatively short time I've been here so far, I recall around 3 previous topics asking the same thing.
The link that eric provided IS a sticky thread. :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

ah, I see. I haven't checked out that part of the forum yet. Must check it out then

I think a similar sticky here, or at least a shadow topic to it wouldn't hurt though - considering the number of similar topics popping up in this part of the forum.

QUOTE Thanks
chicago

NEVER a bad idea to repeats things on the web. Especially forums since there are different threads and sub-forums. That sticky, IMHO, would make a lot of sense to be placed in this sub-forum.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
claven2

claven2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 1.83GHz C2D, 2Gig ram

I second the reco for onyX. Seems like a great little program.

Also, pimpmysafari.com is also a good place to visit.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adobe/Microsoft products, do they run natively on Intel macs? | New Azureus »