New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

msn help (soon to be switcher)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spear

Spear is on a distinguished road

SO i'm getting a 15" 2.13 ghz macbook pro. I'm constantly on msn and i know there is a msn for mac, but was wondering if they have msn for the intel processors? If not how does the mac work with rosetta? i'm on it everytime i'm on the computer while talking to always atleast a few people...how will msn run under osx on my book?
This is a major concern when deciding whether to switch or not

Thanks in advance,
QUOTE Thanks
King Benny

King Benny is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook white, 2.0 ghz core duo, 2gb ram, 160gb hd, superdrive

I've had my macbook for a few weeks now (my first mac). I am a heavy msn messenger user as well. I used MSN for Mac for about a week and didn't like it. It handled chats ok, but it is missing features of the newer MSN versions for Windows. Also, the file transfers for MSN for mac are brutally slow.

I started using a program called Adium based on some of the positive comments I've read on here. Adium is the best IM client I've used and although I only use it for MSN, it can also handle a variety of other messaging clients (e.g. yahoo, AIM, ICQ). It's highly customizable, intuitive, and file transfers are much quicker.
QUOTE Thanks
Spear

Spear is on a distinguished road

hey thanks for the reply it was very helpful i had heard about adium from searching the board but to have it recomended specifacly for a heavy msn user as well its warmly welcomed
just a few questions i checked out their site and it looks good but just a few questions

1) can i use it with my existing msn account?
2) did it take u long to get used to the interface?

Thanks alot again this helps my decision!

P.S How do u like ur macbook so far?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

same boat as Benny.

been using it for a week or so now. also have nothing but praise for the program. super easy to use, LOTS of nice options. give it a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 27" 5k imac i7, 295x

i personally like mercury messenger, it is pretty much strictly an MSN client. but it has all, and more features the MSN Live Messenger has, it has the drawings, nudges, winks, everything. you can also set your display picture to be like a slid show just by selecting several pictures in your display picture settings. it also has allot of skins you can use.

heres the link if you want to try it
http://www.mercury.to/

i love this program, i like it better then windows live messenger.

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
hclincha

hclincha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 17", Intel Core Duo

The MSN mac version is meh-ish. I use aMSN at home, because of the webcam ability.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Benny View Post
I've had my macbook for a few weeks now (my first mac). I am a heavy msn messenger user as well. I used MSN for Mac for about a week and didn't like it. It handled chats ok, but it is missing features of the newer MSN versions for Windows. Also, the file transfers for MSN for mac are brutally slow.

I started using a program called Adium based on some of the positive comments I've read on here. Adium is the best IM client I've used and although I only use it for MSN, it can also handle a variety of other messaging clients (e.g. yahoo, AIM, ICQ). It's highly customizable, intuitive, and file transfers are much quicker.

I'll second Adium, although mine now comes up with a message everytime I launch telling me my friend is on MSN and I need to download MSN (which is not true). But adium is very good and you can have all your clients on one neat programme.

You can set it to long you in to all the clients upon launch. I never have chat programmes set to lauch at boot up.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
chicago

chicago is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear View Post

1) can i use it with my existing msn account?
2) did it take u long to get used to the interface?
I use Adium on my office mac, I'm a designer, and I've installed it onto my new MBP C2D. I love Adium and have been using it for over a year now.

You can use your existing msn, aim, aol, icq and yahoo accounts. The programs just access your information from your accounts held by msn, aim, aol icq and yahoo servers.

You'll love the program. The only issues I've come across have been file transfers. It's a bit fishy at time and doesn't necessarily work all the time.

The GUI is very user friendly, and I suspect you won't have any issues getting used to it and adapting.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MindGame2K6

MindGame2K6 is on a distinguished road

Adium is THE best bet as far as any messenging goes, as it has all major versions bundled into one program.
QUOTE Thanks
Dog§Paddle

Dog§Paddle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman445 View Post
i personally like mercury messenger, it is pretty much strictly an MSN client. but it has all, and more features the MSN Live Messenger has, it has the drawings, nudges, winks, everything. you can also set your display picture to be like a slid show just by selecting several pictures in your display picture settings. it also has allot of skins you can use.

heres the link if you want to try it
http://www.mercury.to/

i love this program, i like it better then windows live messenger.
I used that program for a while. The only thing is it's pretty slow, and pretty ugly IMO. It has all the features of Live though, which is about the only advantage over Adium. It is better than aMSN.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i find the aMSN crashes a lot. any ideas?

i have the latest version
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Word Send to | Office Test Drive »