Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Apps and Games (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/)
-   -   msn help (soon to be switcher) (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/46585-msn-help-soon-switcher.html)

Spear 12-03-2006 09:43 PM

msn help (soon to be switcher)

SO i'm getting a 15" 2.13 ghz macbook pro. I'm constantly on msn and i know there is a msn for mac, but was wondering if they have msn for the intel processors? If not how does the mac work with rosetta? i'm on it everytime i'm on the computer while talking to always atleast a few people...how will msn run under osx on my book?
This is a major concern when deciding whether to switch or not

Thanks in advance, :)

King Benny 12-03-2006 10:01 PM

I've had my macbook for a few weeks now (my first mac). I am a heavy msn messenger user as well. I used MSN for Mac for about a week and didn't like it. It handled chats ok, but it is missing features of the newer MSN versions for Windows. Also, the file transfers for MSN for mac are brutally slow.

I started using a program called Adium based on some of the positive comments I've read on here. Adium is the best IM client I've used and although I only use it for MSN, it can also handle a variety of other messaging clients (e.g. yahoo, AIM, ICQ). It's highly customizable, intuitive, and file transfers are much quicker.

Spear 12-03-2006 11:50 PM

hey thanks for the reply it was very helpful :) i had heard about adium from searching the board but to have it recomended specifacly for a heavy msn user as well its warmly welcomed :)
just a few questions i checked out their site and it looks good but just a few questions :)

1) can i use it with my existing msn account?
2) did it take u long to get used to the interface?

Thanks alot again :) this helps my decision!

P.S How do u like ur macbook so far?

eric 12-04-2006 12:02 AM

same boat as Benny.

been using it for a week or so now. also have nothing but praise for the program. super easy to use, LOTS of nice options. give it a shot.

kman445 12-04-2006 11:34 AM

i personally like mercury messenger, it is pretty much strictly an MSN client. but it has all, and more features the MSN Live Messenger has, it has the drawings, nudges, winks, everything. you can also set your display picture to be like a slid show just by selecting several pictures in your display picture settings. it also has allot of skins you can use.

heres the link if you want to try it
http://www.mercury.to/

i love this program, i like it better then windows live messenger.

hclincha 12-04-2006 02:45 PM

The MSN mac version is meh-ish. I use aMSN at home, because of the webcam ability.

Zoolook 12-04-2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Benny (Post 283042)
I've had my macbook for a few weeks now (my first mac). I am a heavy msn messenger user as well. I used MSN for Mac for about a week and didn't like it. It handled chats ok, but it is missing features of the newer MSN versions for Windows. Also, the file transfers for MSN for mac are brutally slow.

I started using a program called Adium based on some of the positive comments I've read on here. Adium is the best IM client I've used and although I only use it for MSN, it can also handle a variety of other messaging clients (e.g. yahoo, AIM, ICQ). It's highly customizable, intuitive, and file transfers are much quicker.

I'll second Adium, although mine now comes up with a message everytime I launch telling me my friend is on MSN and I need to download MSN (which is not true). But adium is very good and you can have all your clients on one neat programme.

You can set it to long you in to all the clients upon launch. I never have chat programmes set to lauch at boot up.

chicago 12-04-2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spear (Post 283091)

1) can i use it with my existing msn account?
2) did it take u long to get used to the interface?

I use Adium on my office mac, I'm a designer, and I've installed it onto my new MBP C2D. I love Adium and have been using it for over a year now.

You can use your existing msn, aim, aol, icq and yahoo accounts. The programs just access your information from your accounts held by msn, aim, aol icq and yahoo servers.

You'll love the program. The only issues I've come across have been file transfers. It's a bit fishy at time and doesn't necessarily work all the time.

The GUI is very user friendly, and I suspect you won't have any issues getting used to it and adapting.

MindGame2K6 12-05-2006 08:59 PM

Adium is THE best bet as far as any messenging goes, as it has all major versions bundled into one program.

Dog§Paddle 12-06-2006 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman445 (Post 283235)
i personally like mercury messenger, it is pretty much strictly an MSN client. but it has all, and more features the MSN Live Messenger has, it has the drawings, nudges, winks, everything. you can also set your display picture to be like a slid show just by selecting several pictures in your display picture settings. it also has allot of skins you can use.

heres the link if you want to try it
http://www.mercury.to/

i love this program, i like it better then windows live messenger.

I used that program for a while. The only thing is it's pretty slow, and pretty ugly IMO. It has all the features of Live though, which is about the only advantage over Adium. It is better than aMSN.

christm 12-08-2006 05:42 AM

i find the aMSN crashes a lot. any ideas?

i have the latest version