New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

3D Flash Animation

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

Basically I just want to do small things, such as make a 3D logo of a project I'm working on at the moment, and make the logo spin etc.

Can anyone recommend any software applications to do this?

Cheers
Liam
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Making anything that is 3D spin is no simple task. At least not the way I understand that you want it to. Also, the applications needed for this are expensive.

That being said, I would suggest something like AfterEffects or Maya (for true 3D) to make a logo animation.

EDIT: BTW, Flash doesn't do 3D animation :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

something like carrara by eovia is cheap and easy to do something like that (cheap os $400-$600)

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

I've seen some 3D stuff in flash, but only simple polygon models. I've no idea how it's done though - if you can somehow create it in flash, or have to export from another app to flash.

Blender is a free 3D app which may be what you're after. It supports animation and I've seen some pretty impressive work come out of Blender. Only problem is that you'll have to learn it from scratch.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownley1 View Post
I've seen some 3D stuff in flash, but only simple polygon models. I've no idea how it's done though -
You only think you saw real 3D. :black:
There is no Z axis to animate in Flash, so there is no real 3D.
Things that appear to be 3D in Flash are actually nothing more than 2D images. They are all drawn and then animated frame-by-frame-by-frame-by-frame, etc... add in some tweens, scale shifts, shape morphings, and some tricky (and time-consuming) ActionScripting techniques and the end result appears as if it is 3D.
This is why the things you have seen are very simple polygonal models. To make anything more complex...well, the time it would take to not only draw, but animate as well would take immense patience and dedication, not to mention a ton of time. :black:

This is why there are actual 3D modeling applications out there.

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

that actually sounds as if it would require far more precision than any 3D would need (and I've done a fair bit) If I were to do it like that, I'd just go with quicktime renders or a png sequence.

The first example I saw of '3D' flash was this some years ago, found here

If that's how it's done, it's an absurd waste of time, as keyframing in 3D apps takes enough time - but to recreate each frame as a 2D image is just pointless.

I'm sure that's how some '3D' would be done in flash, but this seems different. I've no doubt it is (or was originally) 3D - I'm just not sure how it was placed in flash.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownley1 View Post
The first example I saw of '3D' flash was this some years ago, found here
Yup, that is all some fancy-schmancy ActionScripting and some very smart bends and tweens. Also take notice that the "3D" part is almost a sort of vector-like thing... no solids or shading to worry about... it is all outlines. It makes the whole simulating 3D a little easier and more believable. If he were to have kept the full-color from the beginning of the cartoon, then he would have had some frame-by-frame drawing to do... very time-consuming indeed. :black:

Whatever the case, Flash can neither create 3D nor accept any sort of 3D created raw file. Even if you were to model something in say, 3dsMax... it would never import to the library in Flash unless you imported it as a video file... in which case, it really wouldn't be Flash. You also couldn't do anything with it to modify it other than a simple slice footage edit. At the time that example was made, video use in Flash was exteremly limited due to its very poor quality... far below the quality of that example if it were video (which it isn't).

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thunderbird | Linotype Font Explorer and Helvetica »