New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Text Viewer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

redmelons

redmelons is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini, 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo, 512MB RAM, OS X 10.4.7

I'm looking for suggestions for a simple text viewer for OS X - just for reading .readme's etc. OS X seems to default to using TextEdit, but I don't really like using an editor just for viewing - there's always the chance of accidentally overwriting a file - I want something which just displays the file.

I'm a recent convert to the Mac, having used an Amiga for many years, and got used to using programs like Multiview which used a datatype system to automatically recognise and open text, graphic and audio files for viewing, so any Amigans will know what I'm after ;-) Is there a Multiview type program for OS X?
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I haven't got my mac with me to check, but could you set text files to open in Preview by default?
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazabam View Post
I haven't got my mac with me to check, but could you set text files to open in Preview by default?
No. When I go to select the application for opening a .txt file, Preview is grayed out.

You could set it to open with Help Viewer, which is a read-only window.

Side note: one of the options on my MacBook is to open the file with Uli's Moose. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
redmelons

redmelons is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini, 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo, 512MB RAM, OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazabam View Post
No, if I select a text file it won't allow me to use Preview as a viewer, and if I open Preview it won't allow me to open a text file. I think Preview is just a PDF viewer.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I've just come across PageSector, which is a text file viewer/reader with built in tracking and bookmarking. Apparently it's built for people who use long strategy guides for gaming, but I might use it myself for development documentation ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Color of Thunderbird Tool Tips | Safari Update After Reinstall »