New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Warcraft 3 on macbook?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
docss26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Anyone playing warcraft 3 on their macbooks? I just wanted to know how well it runs and if ill be able to enjoy the game on here. i have a 2 ghz macbook with 1.25 gb ram. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
hclincha

 
Member Since: Aug 17, 2006
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 194
hclincha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 17", Intel Core Duo

hclincha is offline
Should be able to run it allright. But it's a PPC app, so it'll run through rosetta. Works on my iMac 1,83 GHz with 1 Gb RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
docss26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hclincha View Post
Should be able to run it allright. But it's a PPC app, so it'll run through rosetta. Works on my iMac 1,83 GHz with 1 Gb RAM.
what does that mean, it runs on rosetta?
QUOTE Thanks
hclincha

 
Member Since: Aug 17, 2006
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 194
hclincha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 17", Intel Core Duo

hclincha is offline
It emulates a PPC processor, meaning that it'll run slower than if run natively. You might know that Apple recently changed from PPC-processors to Intel processors. With that change, they also changed the processor architecture. Not all applications are made for the new Intel processors, therefore Apple created an emulating application called Rosetta, so that PPC-programs will run.
QUOTE Thanks
docss26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hclincha View Post
It emulates a PPC processor, meaning that it'll run slower than if run natively. You might know that Apple recently changed from PPC-processors to Intel processors. With that change, they also changed the processor architecture. Not all applications are made for the new Intel processors, therefore Apple created an emulating application called Rosetta, so that PPC-programs will run.
oh thanks for the information. Is rosetta something i can just search for and download. Is it complicated to set it up and run the WC3 app.
QUOTE Thanks
Jammers

 
Member Since: Aug 12, 2005
Posts: 107
Jammers is on a distinguished road

Jammers is offline
Rosetta runs in the background of OS X on Intel Macs and emulates the PPC environment for PPC only applications such as MS Office, Photoshop and Warcraft 3.

Problem you have is that a Macbook has onboard graphics and will have tme emulate all the code using Rosetta making it much slower than it would be normally. I would try the game first before buying.
QUOTE Thanks
docss26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
Rosetta runs in the background of OS X on Intel Macs and emulates the PPC environment for PPC only applications such as MS Office, Photoshop and Warcraft 3.

Problem you have is that a Macbook has onboard graphics and will have tme emulate all the code using Rosetta making it much slower than it would be normally. I would try the game first before buying.
i downloaded the demo online and it ran smoothly on the original setting the demo started with. i really like the game. i think itll be fine. i just odered the game anyways. if it sucks on the mac i still have my desktop.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Does such an intellegent program exist? | Keystroke logs? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MacBook impressions - trip to store kaidomac Schweb's Lounge 24 10-14-2007 01:45 PM
World of Warcraft and Macbook Arichards OS X - Apps and Games 2 07-21-2006 05:00 PM
The "Mod your MacBook" thread kaidomac Apple Notebooks 50 07-11-2006 08:49 PM
World of Warcraft on a MacBook?? Keef Apple Notebooks 2 06-27-2006 07:21 PM
Macbook and World of Warcraft tinyteddy Apple Notebooks 13 05-22-2006 09:36 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?