New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Katness

Katness is on a distinguished road

I want to play around with Safari again. At first I didn't like Safari so I deleted it. But now I want to download it again to try it again. But the only version I can find to download on the Apple web site is not compatible with my mac for some reason. Is there anywhere else I can get another version of Safari? :black:

iMac: Intel core, 2 GHz, 3g Memory, 17".
Macbook: Intel Core, 2.4ghz, 4g Memory, 13".
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Safari is bundled with OS X, you can't download it. What version of OS X do you have?

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Katness

I have 10.4.7. I also have the OS X install disk as well.

QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

install it from the discs that came with your mac. do not delete programs that came with your mac unless your sure you have the cd or dvd that came with your mac
QUOTE Thanks
Katness

I tried the reinstall bundled sofware. but it didn't seem to have installed Safari. I don't need to click OS X do I? (now I feel like the village idiot)

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

You can reinstall Safari from the Tiger disc doing a Custom install. Before doing that, remove the Safari.pkg from Macintosh HD > Library > Receipts

After installing, check Software Update for Safari's update.
QUOTE Thanks
blackmacbook

blackmacbook is an unknown at this point

Does anyone else feel it's absolutely ridiculous that it can't be downloaded via the internet? What if I lost the CD or don't have it with me? I'm just SOL?

This is a huge inconvenience and almost overshadows many of the reasons I like it over Microsoft.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Well that could be true, but if you lost your install disks, then you have bigger problems than just Safari if something went wrong.

I don't see a big problem not being able to download Safari, it's not like it doesn't come with every Mac. You also can't download Mail, Address Book, iCal, iChat, etc.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

The original disks that came with your Mac should always be available. Losing them? Would you lose the keys to your car?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

people do lose the keys to their cars. happens all the time.
and typically all you need to do is engage the dealer - with the proper paperwork and a vin - to get a new set at a nominal fee.
that is, of course, if you don't have a backup.

which begs the question...
can you dup the mac discs that come with your hardware?
(not should, mind you, but can you?)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am very sure you can make backups of the Install DVD's. I did it with my Tiger DVD just in case something bad happened to it. Never tried backing up the DVD that comes with the computer though.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

The comparison with car keys was bad. After all, install disks stay home all the time. Pretty hard IMO to lose them.
QUOTE Thanks
Guardian

My neighbor's house burnt to the ground 3 months ago, he lost everything he owned, except for the cloths he had on when he went to work that morning and the laptop he was carrying.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

So this means that all the people coming in forums saying they've lost their install disks were victims of house fires?

;^)

The thing is this: you buy a computer, store your install disks in a secure place where you know they are. This is as precious as your computer. The disks are a way to fix and save your computer. Simple. The disks should be considered as such.
QUOTE Thanks
Guardian

Dont think I said that at all. My comment was simply to point out that accidents happen everyday. And each person/incident can have unique and different reason for needing or requesting something, and thus be dealt with individually.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stuffit: What's better? | office on intel? »