New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

OS 10.4 - Adobe/Microsoft products, do they run natively on Intel macs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Axanar

Hi guys,

I am looking to get Adobe Acrobat 8.0 and Office 2004, but do they run natively on the intel macs, or the powerpcs? If they don't, would I see a large performance decrease on my MacBook Pro CD?, Are there intel native versions in the works?

Thanks for the advice,
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Yes, Intel versions are in the pipeline but Office isn't due until autumn 07. Office:mac 2004 runs on Intel Macs under Rosetta, but make sure you have plenty of RAM. Google on office mac intel performance or something similar and you'll find lots of material on this.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Adobe Acrobat 8 is already a Universal Binary. It's the first of Adobe's Mac products to be Intel-Native (since it was the first new release after the Intel transition.)
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Acrobat 8 is much faster now it's gone Universal.

See, Adobe can do it when they put their mind to it!
Just got to wait for CS3 now.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I use Office 2004 all the time and it works great under Rosetta. I don't really notice any speed difference between that and my G5 Mac (not that an office app needs speed). While I'm sure the universal version will scream, the current version is more than usable.

Now Photoshop, while it's passable, it is pretty slow compared to my G5.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

I do think people are overly obsessed with speed. I spend more time thinking about what I'm going to type than I do typing, so I'm the weakest component. However, if I click on a hyperlink to a Word document from Excel, it takes an age to open on my 1gb 1.25ghz G4 mini. I'd like to think that things like that will be faster on the iMac I'm planning to buy.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

I have problems with Adobe 8 on both the iMac C2D and the G4 PB (and even 7.0.8 on my iMac intel that my Powerbook G4 handles fine). The problem I have is if someone sends me an email through yahoo or hotmail that has a link to a pdf file filled in with data stored elsewhere, Adobe will not open it through the browser. It comes up with another previewer and I see the blank form, but it doesnt have the forms filled out with information (long story I have real estate forms that an agent sends me that are pdf forms with links to the filled in data that present as a filled out form). These email work fine in my G4 with 7.0.8, and on my Windows box, but do not work in 8.0.0 on either Mac. I get empty forms and thats all. Weird. Hope they get it fixed. I downgraded back to 7.0.8 on the G4 and it works again but the iMac never has.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

is adobe acrobat reader just a pdf reader like preview can be?

or is there more advantages to adobe acrobat reader ?

cheers chris tm
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mail OSX 10.3.... | Essentials... »