New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

office on intel?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

hey there,

i did have a quick search but coudlnt find anything quite what i wanted.

my question is: when will (if there will) be a intel version of office released? i know the ppc version can run on the new intel machines but how effective is this and is there a major slow down with rosseta?

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Not that I've noticed of anyway....

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
Chewbacca

Chewbacca is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz

For what it's worth, I have Word on my Macbook and it works like a charm. No slowdown whatsoever.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

No problems with any of the Office apps on my MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

The next version of Office for Mac is currently scheduled for autumn 2007, universal binary, with some changes to the interface. I understand that if you want to run Office:mac 2004 on an Intel Mac you need to make sure you have plenty of RAM to avoid slowdown.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

It doesn't run to bad on my macbook. I want to evetually buy the full program. The trial doesn't do much. But I'm going to wait for the universal one. I mostly use neo office for word processing. I haven't gotten the hang of presentation, I'd prefer powerpoint because I'm more familiar with it.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

For what it is worth, I have Office:mac on my PowerMac G5, so it is running native, no Rosetta. It launches and runs *significantly* faster on my PowerMac G5 than on the latest 2.66 GHz Mac Pros. I just tried this the other day at the Apple store. Rosetta does have an effect for sure. The programs are still very usable, but they are slower.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

ok thanks guys

i think i will install my ppc version and then buy the intel version when it comes out

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
macpwns

macpwns has a spectacular aura about

Ive seen a little bit of a slow down with office on my 2.0ghz macbook. ive got a gig of ram so there should be no reason as to why its running so slow.
QUOTE Thanks
cherry

cherry is a jewel in the roughcherry is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: leopard macbook pro 17" | ipod touch

I've had no problems with my office suite on my macbook pro. They also have an academic version that you can get at universities. :spook:

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin@martinsk View Post
The next version of Office for Mac is currently scheduled for autumn 2007, universal binary, with some changes to the interface. I understand that if you want to run Office:mac 2004 on an Intel Mac you need to make sure you have plenty of RAM to avoid slowdown.
Correct. It will be dubbed, according to MS, Office Mac 2008.

QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Does it really take that long, considering they've already got an x86 version completed for PC? You'd think Intel would use their influence with Microsoft to get it out ASAP.
QUOTE Thanks
redmelons

redmelons is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini, 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo, 512MB RAM, OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by christm View Post
i know the ppc version can run on the new intel machines but how effective is this and is there a major slow down with rosseta?
I run the PPC version on my Intel mini, and it takes a long time to load - frustrating if you just want a quick look at a Word document, but once it's loaded it runs fine.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
Does it really take that long, considering they've already got an x86 version completed for PC? You'd think Intel would use their influence with Microsoft to get it out ASAP.
They just completed the x86 version of Office 2007, and that's what they're building Office 2008 for Mac on.

And I doubt Intel has very much influence at all over what Microsoft does. In fact, I don't think anyone has any influence over them.

I, for one, don't intend on upgrading to 2008 when it comes out. Microsoft Office (at least the Windows version) just becomes more bloated as time goes by, and Office 2004 does exactly what I need it to do.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari | Itunes - song info etc.??? »