Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Nov 10, 2006
    Posts
    15
    Thunderbird from a tower to a laptop?
    I was gonig to try and migrate my Thunderbird email, which lives on my old tower G4, into Eudora on my new laptop (macbook).


    This looked like a miserable process, so at this point I just want to get my thunderbird mail from the tower to the laptop, via firewire I guess.


    I don't really understand where the actual Emails live on my harddrive. Are they in that Mozilla profile folder set ?


    thanks...

  2. #2

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    I was gonig to try and migrate my Thunderbird email, which lives on my old tower G4, into Eudora on my new laptop (macbook).


    This looked like a miserable process, so at this point I just want to get my thunderbird mail from the tower to the laptop, via firewire I guess.


    I don't really understand where the actual Emails live on my harddrive. Are they in that Mozilla profile folder set ?


    thanks...

    Yep
    ~/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default/

    Then a file called mail. Renaming it to mail.mbx sometimes helps with importing, although I have never used eudora. Can I ask why you'd go from Thunderbird to Eudora?

  3. #3

    cazabam's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 06, 2006
    Posts
    1,153
    Specs:
    MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
    To migrate all of Thunderbird just copy the entire ~/Library/Thunderbird directory

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Nov 10, 2006
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    Can I ask why you'd go from Thunderbird to Eudora?


    Eh, I probably won't now. But I find that the email formatting options for HTML aren't that swell. I send out promotional emails for various things ... I like em fancy ...

    And I like Eudora's separate windows too.


    PS. Thanks!

  5. #5

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    Eh, I probably won't now. But I find that the email formatting options for HTML aren't that swell. I send out promotional emails for various things ... I like em fancy ...

    And I like Eudora's separate windows too.


    PS. Thanks!

    You're welcome.

    Mail is quite good, but I assume you've already decided against that. I moved to Entourage... not sure if it was a great idea, but Thunderbird has very little integration into your address book/calendar etc so I don't use it. I used it under windows for about 4 years though.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Nov 10, 2006
    Posts
    15
    I was using Entourage the first day I had my computer and rather liked it, but it seemed like I'd be eating snowcones in heck before I ever got my Thunderbird email migrated into it ... ?

  7. #7

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    I was using Entourage the first day I had my computer and rather liked it, but it seemed like I'd be eating snowcones in heck before I ever got my Thunderbird email migrated into it ... ?
    It's actually easy - but you need to rename your thunderbird mail file to mail.mbx. Then just drag it into Entourage. Simple!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New Laptop or Tower?
    By roundsquare1 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 03:40 PM
  2. Can I use the OS install disc from my laptop on my tower?
    By JG510EC in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 11:26 PM
  3. Printer won't share from tiger laptop to leopard tower
    By jesse111 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 01:03 AM
  4. Thunderbird PC to Thunderbird Mac?
    By MikeT in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 08:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •