New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Thunderbird from a tower to a laptop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JackRabbit

JackRabbit is on a distinguished road

I was gonig to try and migrate my Thunderbird email, which lives on my old tower G4, into Eudora on my new laptop (macbook).

This looked like a miserable process, so at this point I just want to get my thunderbird mail from the tower to the laptop, via firewire I guess.

I don't really understand where the actual Emails live on my harddrive. Are they in that Mozilla profile folder set ?

thanks...
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
I was gonig to try and migrate my Thunderbird email, which lives on my old tower G4, into Eudora on my new laptop (macbook).

This looked like a miserable process, so at this point I just want to get my thunderbird mail from the tower to the laptop, via firewire I guess.

I don't really understand where the actual Emails live on my harddrive. Are they in that Mozilla profile folder set ?

thanks...

Yep
~/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default/

Then a file called mail. Renaming it to mail.mbx sometimes helps with importing, although I have never used eudora. Can I ask why you'd go from Thunderbird to Eudora?
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

To migrate all of Thunderbird just copy the entire ~/Library/Thunderbird directory
QUOTE Thanks
JackRabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Can I ask why you'd go from Thunderbird to Eudora?

Eh, I probably won't now. But I find that the email formatting options for HTML aren't that swell. I send out promotional emails for various things ... I like em fancy ...

And I like Eudora's separate windows too.

PS. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Eh, I probably won't now. But I find that the email formatting options for HTML aren't that swell. I send out promotional emails for various things ... I like em fancy ...

And I like Eudora's separate windows too.

PS. Thanks!

You're welcome.

Mail is quite good, but I assume you've already decided against that. I moved to Entourage... not sure if it was a great idea, but Thunderbird has very little integration into your address book/calendar etc so I don't use it. I used it under windows for about 4 years though.
QUOTE Thanks
JackRabbit

I was using Entourage the first day I had my computer and rather liked it, but it seemed like I'd be eating snowcones in heck before I ever got my Thunderbird email migrated into it ... ?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Quote:
I was using Entourage the first day I had my computer and rather liked it, but it seemed like I'd be eating snowcones in heck before I ever got my Thunderbird email migrated into it ... ?
It's actually easy - but you need to rename your thunderbird mail file to mail.mbx. Then just drag it into Entourage. Simple!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac, 2monitors and fullscreen mode | mail/safari probs but only in one account »