New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Looking for program to open .asp file

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

I am looking for a program to open a file I recieved from the state. It is my temporary paramedic license. When I clicked on the link on their website to print the temporary card a file downloaded to my desktop. It is an .asp file.
When I click on it it opens photoshop and does not show anything. I tried to open it with Word in every type of file word can recognize but it wont open properly in that either. Anyone know of a program that will open this. I kinda need this by tuesday so any help would be appreciated. If worst comes to worst ill have to head over to my parents house and fire up their ancient virus filled wondoze machine and see if it will work.

QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

It probably just downloaded wrong and forgot to rename itself.. try a .pdf extension and then open it up in preview..
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

I found this info about .asp files:

http://www.fileinfo.net/extension/asp
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

.asp files should open in any web browser.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

.asp files are usually just HTML. However, what sometimes happens is that people use an 'accessor' script to get to other files rather than linking directly, and sometimes the browser forgets to use the 'real' filename.

To find out what type of file it _really_ is, open up Applications->Utilities->Terminal and use cd to go to the directory it is in (it'll be /home/yourusername/Desktop if you put it on the desktop) then type:

file nameoffile.asp

This will probe the file and tell you what it is.
QUOTE Thanks
bbydan

bbydan is on a distinguished road

yea, i had this problem too. just rename the extension from .asp to .pdf
QUOTE Thanks
katiegirl1125

katiegirl1125 is on a distinguished road

I too was having this problem, and sent the asp file to a friend to open to print off for me. I went to look at the "sent" folder in g-mail to confirm the message sent because my network was acting glitchy, and saw I could open the attachment "as a google document" or as "html."

As soon as I clicked open as HTML I could see the whole document perfectly in the web browser. The formatting was ever so slightly off at the top, but it was still fine for my purposes.

Though saving to your desktop and then e-mailing the ASP file to yourself on g-mail so you can go into the sent message and view it is a bit of a hassle, it seems easier than going to a library or work to view the file on a PC!

Hope this helps others!
QUOTE Thanks
ctfixer

ctfixer is on a distinguished road

OK group, seen a lot of discussion about opening files with aspx extension an your Apple Mac computer. Believe it or not, point the file to open with QuickTime Player and viola, you are seeing the file! No downloads and changing extension or file name etc. Enjoy!

ctfixer
QUOTE Thanks
Electrocone

Electrocone is on a distinguished road

In looking over the comments left none worked for me (running 10.6.8)... I regularly receive .asp files and Firefox would not simply open after downloading (after assign). Assigning .asp to open with Firefox in the finder didn't work, neither Quicktime player. I could convert them to .xls files in finder then open but it's a pain.

Finally found that selecting "get info" on a .asp file opened info window and I was able to assign Firefox, got the same "not sure" prompt, but clicked on Change All and all is good.

BC
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hooking laptop to TV | Safari Can't Connect Online ... »