New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Can I import Outlook 2003 into ical, mail, etc.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

I earlier research being able to import data from Microsoft's Outlook 2003 for Windows XP into Entourage 2004 for Mac. I now plan to use the built in applications, ical, contacts, mail, etc. Is there a way of importing data into these? If necessary can I export to Outlook 2003 again?
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

I dont see why not, I dont have much experience with outlook or entourage you might try searching the apple support site... im sure you turn something up
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
I earlier research being able to import data from Microsoft's Outlook 2003 for Windows XP into Entourage 2004 for Mac. I now plan to use the built in applications, ical, contacts, mail, etc. Is there a way of importing data into these? If necessary can I export to Outlook 2003 again?
Well, if you use entourage it has a built in sync with iCal, and Address book so that it keeps them current at all times - you have to check-box it in the preferences in Entourage, but it does just fine with them. I keep mine synched because some other apple apps hook with them and not entourage by itself. As far as going straight from Outlook on a Pc to the iCal, mail, and address book I'm not sure unless you could do some sort of export as a comma separated file or something. I haven't looked much at the import functions of those programs. I do know you can send your addresses as vcards from Outlook straight into address book as I do that frequently from my pc desktop to my powerbook and ibooks. It sends every field over and works great.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Actually it's not as straightforward as it should be. Microsoft obviously don't think people would ever want to leave Windows and Outlook behind and then use Entourage. You can import into Mail from Outlook, but it messes up your folders and attachments (which is nice).

I did the switch and here's how. Install Thunderbird on your PC. Import from Outlook to Thunderbird and then find your mail file (under Settings/username/Application Data etc) and find a file called "mail" - also you might want to do this for "sent" too.

Add the extension .mbox to the file and then save it to CD or Zip drive or whatever, so you can move it to your mac.

On the Mac, drag each .mbox icon (i.e. each folder you used in Outlook) from the desktop to Entourage or its icon in the Dock, and click Import on the dialog box that appears.

A guide is here. http://www.riches.com.au/articles/ex...-entourage.htm

Entourage is actually quite neat and does some things that Outlook cannot.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Firefox 2.0 | MAIL Question »