New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Indesign CS– links not updating for files on server

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Morgan19

Morgan19 is on a distinguished road

My company uses Indesign CS (3.0.1 on Mac OSX). We recently moved our job files over to a network drive, a Dell PowerEdge with Windows 2003 Standard Server, to help centralize operations. Problem is, I've noticed I couple oddities in Indesign when using the files on the server.

The most noteable and alarming hiccup is that linked images in an Indesign document no longer show "updated" icons when edited outside Indesign, nor can we re-insert an image to update the image manually.

As an example... Let's say I have a document with an image in it already up and running in Indesign. If I open up the image in Photoshop and save it, normally when going back to Indesign the Links panel would show that yellow ! icon to indicate that the file has been altered, so I would know to update the link and thus have the most recent image. Now that all our files are on the server, however, this doesn't happen: I get no indication that the graphic has been updated outside of Indesign. Even worse is that if I edit the graphic in Photoshop, save it, then go back into Indesign, click on the image, and try and insert the same image again (which before would always update it for me), nothing happens– despite having been updated and saved in Photoshop, the image will not change to the new version. I have to insert an entirely different image, then go *back* to the first one before it'll recognize the updated image.

Does anyone have any idea why Indesign (installed locally on each Mac) would be having this sort of trouble with files stored on a network drive? I know plenty of other agencies that operate off a central creative server, so surely this can be remedied somehow.

Thanks,
m19
QUOTE Thanks
MikeCarenter

MikeCarenter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: intel, Leapord

We have this problem once in awhile we also are working off file server

Have you found a way to respolve it
QUOTE Thanks
Morgan19

Morgan19 is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure the only solution is switching to CS3– I don't remember where it was, but I'd found a note somewhere that said Windows servers and CS (on a Mac, anyway) just don't play well together. We made the switch to the newer versions of CS shortly after I'd made the post and it seemed to fix the issue.

m19
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Entourage 2004 Connection issues connecting to exchange 2003 | Shifting my Music »