New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Question about Entourage vs. ical, mail, and Address Book

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

I am switching from Windows XP to a new MacBook Pro this week. I am a heavy Office user so will be getting Office 2004 for Mac.
My concern is since I use Outlook so heavily should I use Entourage on the Mac or go with iCal, Address Book, and Mail. I like that Entourage is so heavily integrated with Office but as well why I like iCal, Address Book, and Mail is that they work with .mac and isync. I have seen about a program called e2Sync which I think would help me use both but as well I see no reason to use both if one does the job.
For users out there using the mac programs, do you find they work as well or better than Entourage or Outlook did?
Also, I would have to convert my data from Outlook 2003. I have heard there are 3rd party programs that convert to Entourage (just not from Entourage to Outlook) but are there any that convert from Outlook 2003 to iCal, Address Book, and Mail?
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

I use Mail and Address Book, not iCal don't really have much use for it. I used Outlook before but I don't know I just find Mail and Address Book a bit more simpler and straight forward not that Outlook was complex.

Just Mail does the job.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

Former XP user, heavy, heavy Office user -- extensive use of Outlook in XP. I'm using Entourage now just because it's as close as MS comes to Outlook for Mac. It will sync using .Mac, but it does so by going from Entourage --> Address Book/iCal/Mail ---> .Mac ---->Address Book/iCal/Mail (2nd machine) ---> Entourage (2nd machine).

It works, and does so in the background, but it's obviously a bit ham-fisted. I think it's just more convenient to have address, email, calendar, etc all in one place on one screen. Entourage does not have all the features of Outlook, however, but has most of the basic ones.
QUOTE Thanks
markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

I didn't realize it does that type of syncing to .mac, etc. I found www.e2sync.com so assumed that this is not a standard mac feature that's built into OS X. is this something you have to set up so that entourage links with the other programs (ical, etc)?
QUOTE Thanks
climbguy

climbguy is an unknown at this point

I started with entourage then went to mail, ical, and address book, because it seemed like thats what I a 'Mac Guy' would do.

Anyway, I am back with entourage. Its no Outlook, but it does 95% of what I used in Outlook. My biggest complaint is that in the calendar view you can only see one whole month and not part of two. So today is Oct 28 and I am still on october and seeing what i did on Oct 1. Unlike outlook which will show me the last week of Oct and the first few of Nov.

In address book I don't know of a way to get the biz card view, in notes everything seems to be viewable as a list rather than the post-it style view.
QUOTE Thanks
JoanneR

One thing I've wondered is why they simply don't have Outlook for Mac as part of the Office suite. I know a new version is coming out next year but once again, it'll be Entourage but maybe they are making some good changes. One thing I use in Outlook a lot along with the other features is the tasks for task lists. Does Entourage have this or along with ical, etc. do any of those do tasks or does another program do tasks?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Counterstike Pleaseee! | ichat »