New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Firefox downloading wrong files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jackcu

Jackcu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20-inch 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac

Sorry if this has been dealt with already - I've searched but can't find the answer.

I only switched from PC this week and am getting there slowly. Last night I tried to download the Flickr uploader for Mac from the Flickr website. Although Firefox told me I was downloading the .dmg, as soon as it started I had an .exe with a random name on my desktop. When I double clicked this I was asked if i wanted to install the MS Office for Mac test. I stopped and d/l it again. Different random name, same result.

Later I was trying to d/l another installation of a different bit of software from a different site. Same result.

I googled and saw a couple of people with the same experience but no answer. I went back with Safari and got the files I wanted, so it looks like a Firefox with Mac issue.

I want to use Firefox as Safari won't do some of the things I need.

Does anybody now the answer to this one?

Thanks,

Jack.
QUOTE Thanks
middigit

middigit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini g4 1.42mz 80gig hd superdrive bluetooth and airport + ibook 12" g4 800mhz

yeah, it does that with me you must have clicked to save your files somewhere else no? on mine i save to my backup, it dl's to the backup but leaves a random file on the desktop - i assume it's due to secvurity lacking in firefox and someone is piggybacking odd files. i stopped using firefox for this reason and also felt it too much like IE, oh and also don't go shopping on the net with firefox use safari or opera as sometimes the security of some sites dont work on firefox
- i now use opera.

hope that helps you
QUOTE Thanks
Jackcu

Jackcu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20-inch 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac

Thanks

I think I just accepted the default download location. The thing about the "random" file is that it starts up the Mac Office trial when clicked. I assume there is a file association problem somewhere. There is no way that I have actually downloaded the file in question from Flickr (I proved this when using Safari).

Anyone else have a view?

Cheers,

Jack.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« optimization software | Adobe Creative Suite and Macbook Pro »