New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

optimization software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bschuteker

I am new to the world of MAC. I have to service some for work and have had some users ask me if there is some software that will speed them back up. They say that they are begining to slow down. I am comparing this to windows defrag or norton system works. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

if they are left on 24/7 they will do all necessary maintenance that they will ever need, there is no need to defrag or anything like that. your not using windows anymore!

the computers file system "defrags on the fly" meaning that it shuffles around your information all of the time

their computers most likely arent slowing up they just arent as fast as they want them to be anymore.

do a forum search for "repair permissions" that is the only sort of "maintenance" that i do and im not sure if it actually speeds anything up or not
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
bschuteker

Thanks Chris,

These MAC's are at an advertising agency and the users are pretty savy and do a lot of heavy graphics work. They are only a couple months old Intel chip MAC's. I was approached by 2 different people who mentioned that they seemed slower than when they got them.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I would tell them just to leave them on for a week... it will do everything it needs too.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668

Is it possible that they've "slowed down" because the users have started doing actual, well, work on them? And do they have enough memory for what they're being used for?
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

If your looking for a good maintnence program onyx works great. Cleans out safari caches, all sorts of stuff.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

QUOTE Thanks
middigit

middigit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini g4 1.42mz 80gig hd superdrive bluetooth and airport + ibook 12" g4 800mhz

main menu is much better i find, just sits in your menu bar and i usually run it at least once a week - on a weekend if i've been running my machines alot.

the linked versionis for upto 10.4.7 - i''m still waiting on the update for my 10.4.8 machine though lol
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

Cocktail has worked well for me.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

After I did a clean install I benchmark tested my machine with xbench and if i feel that the machine is getting slower then I benchmark it again. Last time I did this I found that the machine was faster than after doing a clean install. Benchmarking is not completely accurate all the time but it put my mind to rest. Maybe this would be something to consider doing. !!

http://www.xbench.com/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« using azureus, but it says firewalled? | Firefox downloading wrong files »