New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

twdawson

twdawson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Mac Mini with LG Flatron 20" widescreen LCD

Hi all

Is there such a little program or widget that i can keep on my desktop to alert me when i have new mail.
The widgets for dashboard are good but i need it on my desktop.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Erudite.Warrior

Erudite.Warrior has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD

I'm pretty sure Mail alerts you with sounds, messages, etc. Also It will show a little red number next to its icon in the dock.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdawson
Hi all

Is there such a little program or widget that i can keep on my desktop to alert me when i have new mail.

Thanks

I use Growl for that exact need... It works perfectly!! It gives a small discreet pop-up that says who the new mail is from, and a bit of the message...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15979
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Hi all

Thanks
Just as an aside, you can put any widget you like on the desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
twdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8
Just as an aside, you can put any widget you like on the desktop.
How do you put widgets on the desktop in tiger???.

I was going to set mail to launch when my mac starts but it will not hide upon startup.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

Quote:
How do you put widgets on the desktop in tiger???.

I was going to set mail to launch when my mac starts but it will not hide upon startup.
I believe you have to enable the developer mode to get them on the desktop but I can't remember how.

However, the mail not hiding problem seems to be a common problem. Check this thread for a simple solution.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Google amnesty widget...
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstumpf
I believe you have to enable the developer mode to get them on the desktop but I can't remember how.
I thought it'd be complex to do but it's dead easy....just hit the F12 key to bring on the Dashboard Widgets, then click on and hold any widget and move it from side to side slightly then as you're doing this, hit the F12 key again...magic!!

To return a widget to where it belongs just click and hold and wiggle it then hit the F12 key as you are doing that then when Dashboard springs open just release the widget back into the wild.

>EDIT< Follow these links first:

http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/sho...ls.php?wid=1065
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/dashbo..._x_desktop.html

QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8
I thought it'd be complex to do but it's dead easy....just hit the F12 key to bring on the Dashboard Widgets, then click on and hold any widget and move it from side to side slightly then as you're doing this, hit the F12 key again...magic!!

To return a widget to where it belongs just click and hold and wiggle it then hit the F12 key as you are doing that then when Dashboard springs open just release the widget back into the wild.
Yea, but you have to enable the developer's mode before you can do that. Once you are in dev. mode you can "drag" the widget to the desktop.

http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/show...s.php?wid=1065
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/dashboa...x_desktop.html
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstumpf
Yea, but you have to enable the developer's mode before you can do that. Once you are in dev. mode you can "drag" the widget to the desktop.

http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/show...s.php?wid=1065
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/dashboa...x_desktop.html
My bad, I completely forgot that part 'cos I was so happy that I'd finally learnt how to do it....I wanted to tell everybody....
QUOTE Thanks
twdawson

This method of using the dev mode for the widgets on the desktop is good, but one big problem is that they get in the way of everything and they look terrible on top of front row.
Probably just gonna use Konfabulator for now and you never know Leopard might have something interesting regarding widgets.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Play Call of Duty 2 without Disk | fire wall help »