Unhappy Safari 10.4.8 - Issues
    Hi,

Maybe it is because i am a newb but I'm having issues with Safari.

The software crashed twice since i updated to 10.4.8, while I was running iTunes.

Were I would need help though is the following:

How do I make Safari 'Web Standard'. I visited the ACS' website and was given the simple version, with a message saying that my browser was not web standard.

I'm getting the same issues when i visit hotmail.

I installed Firefox for now, but would much prefer using only 1 browser. If M$ can do it with IE7, why shouldn't Mac be able to with Safari?

Thanks guys

Oh my gosh! My Safari, literally two minutes ago, did this also. I was surfing the web and it cut out twice...thats never happened to me before...same version too...

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChemist
    How do I make Safari 'Web Standard'. I visited the ACS' website and was given the simple version, with a message saying that my browser was not web standard.
    That is probably the other way around. :black:
    Safari is HTML compliant and up to web standard. What is the more likely issue is that the website was designed for IE only, so it won't display properly in all other browsers. If the site detects any browser other than what the site designer intended it for, it will give a message like that.

What was the URL you visited so we can all take a look just to rule out things?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
    Yep it keeps crashing on me when im using iTunes at the same time (which is most of the time..) its pretty annoying, only happened since I upgraded to 10.4.8, might be related to the update, though I have no idea how reliable Safari was pre 10.4.8.

http://pubs.acs.org/

Is where I saw the Web Standard error for the first time.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChemist
    http://pubs.acs.org/

Is where I saw the Web Standard error for the first time.
    Works fine for me in Safari with no messages or errors.

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    Works fine for me in Safari with no messages or errors.
    Ditto here. Is it a special link on that page? I clicked on a lot of them and all worked fine. Latest updates here on this end.

Is yours an Intel or PPC Mac?

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7
    Ditto here. Is it a special link on that page? I clicked on a lot of them and all worked fine. Latest updates here on this end.

Is yours an Intel or PPC Mac?
    PPC

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    PPC
    Opps, did not make it clear, I was asking the OP what he was using. It's fine here on my PPC macs. The intel Mini is in XP doing 2 Work Units in Folding so I did not want to bother it. :spook:

Intel MBP.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7
    Opps, did not make it clear, I was asking the OP what he was using. It's fine here on my PPC macs. The intel Mini is in XP doing 2 Work Units in Folding so I did not want to bother it. :spook:
    Hehe... Still, I would think that in this case the processor is not going to have much to do with it.
    I could be wrong, but it just seems a little too far fetched. There isn't anything special that I can see on that page that would prevent it from loading on an Intel Mac.
    Try trashing your Safari prefs, repair permissions and give it another go.

Specs:
    macbook
    hmm, no problems whatsoever for me. I'm running 10.4.8 on a macbook - with safari and iTunes at the same time, checked that page and had no troubles at all. Refreshed it several time and nothing came up.

I'm also running Safari Enhancer, but I don't think that would have much or any influence on this.

Specs:
    Hehe... Still, I would think that in this case the processor is not going to have much to do with it.
    I could be wrong, but it just seems a little too far fetched. There isn't anything special that I can see on that page that would prevent it from loading on an Intel Mac.
    Try trashing your Safari prefs, repair permissions and give it another go.

Not the processor, but OSX Intel is different than OSX PPC and people have had problems on the Intel builds that did not show up on the PPC. That is where I was going with this. I will try it on my Intel Mac tonight just to be sure something in the 10.4.8 update for intel is not messed up. It's perfect on my PPC's with that update.

Thread Information