New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

PowerPoint vs. Keynote

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

climbguy

climbguy is an unknown at this point

I have to do a couple of those presentation things, what should I be using?
QUOTE Thanks
atomheartmother

atomheartmother is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbguy
I have to do a couple of those presentation things, what should I be using?
Depends on what computer you'll be using to do the presentations. Can you save Keynote presentations in a format that can be viewed on computers without Keynote? If not, I'd go with PP. Most PC's will have PP; if they don't, MS offers a free PP viewer as a download from their site. They may even have a Mac version (not sure though).
QUOTE Thanks
Marl Huss

Marl Huss will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB

Keynote can be exported into PowerPoint, Quicktime and a range of other formats, keynote is also cheaper than PowerPoint as far as I am aware. PowerPoint however will definatly be compatible with PowerPoint while Keynote may have some incompatbilities.

If you need it on a profetional level in a work place with Windows PCs running MS Office, powerpoint is probably the best bet. However Keynote is very nice as long as you can be sure everything you do in it will work on powerpoint.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Or, if you never need powerpoint.

Powerpoint allthough the standard, does not mean that you have to have everything compatible with it inorder to buy keynote. If you are going to be running your presentations off of a mac, where it be a laptop or desktop, then you don't need to worry about weather it will work with powerpoint or not. If you ever feel like you need to distribute your presentation to a large number of people and you are worried that they will not have keynote, then there is always the quick time export. If you are planning on using powerpoint a lot though at the office or what ever you will be doing, they I recomend that you get powerpoint, it is the standard to go by, so if you need standards then powerpoint is ofcourse the way to go.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Keynote > PowerPoint

Like PBG4 said, if you're not going to be showing it *from* your Mac, just export it as a Quicktime movie and play it from the computer you will be using.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomheartmother
MS offers a free PP viewer as a download from their site. They may even have a Mac version (not sure though).
Yep! they have one here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...DisplayLang=en
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .Mac and Mail problems | 'Mail's' Sent Items »